Thursday, May 26, 2005

is there anything worse?

I was just checking out maternity bathing suits, since I'll probably need something when we go to the shore in the fall. Will it be totally embarrassing if I just hang out on the beach in a t-shirt and shorts? All the swimsuits are really cute and for people who are about six days pregnant and still have skinny legs. I particularly enjoyed the maternity bikini, "perfect for any stage of your pregnancy." Puh-leeze!
And the cutesy copy all about "camouflaging your little bump," "your loveable little bulge," "celebrating your belly," etc. - I am going to be a whale by September, in which case I suppose I'll fit right in in the ocean and all the sea creatures can celebrate my ginormous belly with me.

4 comments:

Katy said...

the Old Navy ones at least are full coverage. But that bikini? No way. There is nothing maternity about it unless you are the kind of woman who would otherwise wear a g-string and pasties. Good luck with that. and you should wear whatever is most comfortable at the beach... even if its a parka and shorts.

Gina said...

That bikini is the most laughable thing I have ever seen! Seriously! Demi Moore would have worn that, but I can't think of anyone else who would. (Although, maybe Britney Spears will get one. She seems to have no problem looking like a fool these days.) And did you notice that it costs almost $75? Meanwhile, the perfectly cute ones at Old Navy are $25?

I'd get one, Val, because who wants to sit and swelter on the beach? And who wants to sit around in soggy shorts? Get a suit and stake a claim on one of Dan's button-downs. Who cares if you'll be ginormous? You'll be nearly ready to have your third kid--you deserve to be comfortable.

Gina said...

Lands' End's suits are too expensive, but they do have a decent cover-up for $20. This might suit you nicely. http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0,,1_2_1930_40430_78621_57068_5:view=-1,00.html?CM_MERCH=PAGE_40417&sid=2142149047861181960

BabelBabe said...

The Old Navy ones are really only full coverage if you are roughly 4-5 months pregnant. I could wear one of those now. By my eighth month, I will need something akin to a tent. Most normal people would. None of my other late-pregnancy-stages have fallen in summer before...I suppose I really could have timed this better ; )