Monday, May 02, 2005

Best brownies EVER

Melt two squares unsweetened chocolate with a stick of butter in a saucepan over low heat. Stir in 1 cup sugar, two eggs, and 1/2 tsp vanilla. Beat well. Add 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1 cup chopped walnuts. Mix till well-combined. Bake in a greased and floured 8" square pan at 325 for 30 minutes.

************

The first time I made these, I left out the nuts and they were good but they were sludgy. They're better with the nuts, even though I generally don't like nuts in my brownies.

I used Scharffenberger chocolate because I had some sitting around but Baker's is just fine too.

I got this recipe from a Laurie Colwin book, and according to Colwin, it's Katherine Hepburn's recipe. God bless Katherine Hepburn.

They are so good that next time I am going to make a double batch, add coconut and chocolate chips, and bake it in the same size pan, to see if I can replicate Kiva Han's brownies, which are *amazing.* (Apparently their brownies are baked by little old nuns in a church basement somewhere - The Temple of the Crucified One, I think, sounds sort of Orthodox-y. Could this be them? I pictured little old nuns, though...)

No comments: