Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Bring Out Your Geek!

I asked my Intro to Info Tech prof whether she knew if the symbol on many power buttons is based on the 1s and 0s of digital coding fame, where 1=ON and 0=OFF. She looked at me like I am some sort of freak, which I don’t deny, and then couldn’t give me a real answer.

What do you think? Anyone? Anyone?



************

I bought tickets for Star Wars, and I'm thrilled about it no matter what the critics have to say. I've always known the movies aren't great cinema, but I love the series anyway. I feel lucky to have been a little kid in 1977. I didn't notice then that the dialog is totally corny--I noticed space heroes and fighting and flying and romance and Harrison Ford. (I did notice recently, however, that Han Solo is still very appealing to me. AND that I am now older than Harrison Ford was when he played Solo. Gulp.)

So Teddy and I will be at the theater Friday at 5:50, popcorn in hand. He'll be thrilled to see the ships and droids and battles and General Grievous. I'll just be thrilled.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe that the "power symbol" is a combination of two electrical engenering symbols- a circle indicating off (switch is open, circuit incomplete) and a line (switch is closed, circuit is complete). Thus the power button indicates that this is the button to both complete the circuit and to disengage it.
Sorry if I burst your bubble. I turn things on for a living.
--Marisa

David said...

people too
:-)

BabelBabe said...

ACK! Get a room! : )

Gina said...

Thanks, Marisa. My bubble is indeed burst, but I've learned something, so it's okay.

Katy said...

I second babelbabe... ACK and ick... have fun on that vacation, and David, don't EVER say things like that in the permanent form of the internet again.

Gina said...

Oh, you guys! I think you should give David a break--he included the obligatory smiley face, after all.

[Read in the pseudo-European voice of that lady from the old Pantene commercial] Don't hate him because he's lovey-dovey. :-)

BabelBabe said...

yeah, give it ten years. Then he'll be handing out backhanded compliments like my husband, such as, "You couldn't get anymore attractive." : )