Monday, December 11, 2006

"You know, I hate to sound like an advertisement, but Dawn is the best soap for the job." - Alice Berkner

Two things:

1)Primo’s birthday party. I now know why my mother-in-law spends each family function in the kitchen, cleaning up, pretty much the moment our forks hit the empty plates – she’s hoping we will all take the hint and GO THE HELL HOME.

2)My Saturday post. I do appreciate all the kind words, but mostly, I was trying to see if I could get across how crazy I sometimes feel, and how I try to not be any crazier. The actual reason for many of those, um, symptoms [Upcoming TMI! Danger, Will Robinson!] made itself abundantly clear sometime this morning – and allow me to say that since it’s been roughly two years, between the pregnancy thing and the nursing thing – well, Blackbird’s package of, shall we say, feminine accoutrement (which she said she can’t use due to their applicatorlessness) came in the mail last week, and just in time. Huh.

Oh, ok, just one more thing:

3)I just received my latest issue of Brain, Child magazine in which a mom of one of Primo’s school friends, a woman I am cultivating as a friend because she is just so cool and funny and smart and nice, has an essay. This fact blew me away because BC is my favorite magazine in the world; the topics are always interesting and/or relevant, and the writing incredibly, consistently solid and skillful. And R’s essay was moving and thoughtful and wry and strong, much like I think she is. And so now not only is she a bona fide rock star type in my world (as if her several published books weren’t enough!), but she *likes* me at least a little bit and is one of the very few people in real life to whom I have revealed the existence of this blog – and she reads it. Wow.

11 comments:

blackbird said...

...and, let us be clear here, I did not send a menstrual cup.

Joke said...

While it's only the merest speculation on my part, I think I am safe in saying that were I to suddenly experience those symptoms, I'd be eighteen kinds of crazy.

As in Peter O'Toole in The Ruling Class crazy.

-J.

Anonymous said...

I love that Ira Glass article. I'm glad the source of the symptoms came to light.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Anon was me.

Katy said...

How would an applicator on a menstrual cup work, if that is what bb sent, even though it is not?

Didn't Gina have a post or two about the MC?

Suse said...

I'm not touching this one. Much like bb I suppose, although I do disapprove heartily of the disposable nature of applicators, going to landfill, etc.

So, on another note entirely, I wonder if you've read Sarsaparilla lately (the group Aussie blog - link on my blog)? They did a book post the other day of Favourites of 2006. Thought you might be interested as there's lots of juicy stuff in the comments and you KNOW you need more books to read ...

MsCellania said...

I enjoy Brain, Child so much I have kept copies for over 3 years. One of my clients got me a subscription, and it has been one of the best gifts I've ever received. One of the few that get devoured cover to cover.

Applicator-less - I gave mine to the babysitter! Used to love OB's, now not so much.

Bec said...

I can't even type menstrual cup without feeling grotty. Do tell me they were plain old, honest-to-goodness, applicator-less tampons?!

Anonymous said...

I'd like to cultivate you as a friend. You make me laugh, and I always appreciate that.

BabelBabe said...

Yes, people, they were tampons. That's the last time I try to be subtle with you! What do you take me for, anyway, the sort of person who would use a secondhand Diva Cup? Now that Joke's head has exploded, along with any other male reading (are there other males reading? I wonder, sometimes...)

Caro said...

You know how women that live in the same house start having the same cycles?

I think it happens with all of us bloggers too.

You and I are aligned. :)