Thursday, December 28, 2006

"I'm just crazy about kosher flowers! " - Burson Fouch, "Little Shop of Horrors"

In search of "something fun to do," H and I took the boys to the conservatory yesterday.
The main exhibit was the newly-installed tropical forests of Thailand. Hello, Rogue Librarian! (You should go check out HIS photos - they're the real deal!)

While the two older boys were busy with the treasure hunt...

the intrepid explporer set off...

he wanted to go for a swim...

but watching the workmen install a new heating system was fascinating also...

Serpentine, Shel, serpentine!

For some time, The Baby and I wandered the paths haphazardly....

but finally, he grew a wee bit tuckered out and we sat on a bench in the main courtyard, he fortified with his sippy cup of milk, and we people-watched.

I don't generally like tropical plants; they all look a little too HUNGRY for my tastes.

Like this banana plant: "Feed me, Seymour!"

Dudes! A chocolate tree! Bliss!

This photo is blurry because clearly I have not had enough coffee...despite the presence of this tree...

This waterchain, used in lieu of a downspout, put me so in mind of Blackbird that I photographed it for her to model hers on.

And now, today, we are off to break in the new (to them) ice skates, I may get my hair trimmed this afternoon, and tonight, I get to hang out with Gina and The Boy, neither of whom I have seen in what feels like eons.

The leisurely Christmas vacation continues apace.

5 comments:

blackbird said...

wait.
when did I say I wanted a waterchain?
because I DO TOTALLY want one...

lazy cow said...

Lucky you. The conservatory looks gorgeous. You all sound full of energy and enthusiasm. I'm extremely jealous that you're going ice skating as well. I have a houseful of sick children and husband, but as soon as they're well I'm escaping!

Badger said...

Wait, that's the BABY? Walking around with the hair and the shoes like a regular person? Didn't you just give birth to him yesterday?!

Criminy. Where have I been?

Kathy said...

When did Terzo get that big? Wasn't he just born? I love the pictures of the conservatory.

Suse said...

Tropical plants DO look predatory, don't they? I've never known why I find them faintly distrubing until I read this.

Son #1's new high school (HAVE I MENTIONED HOW FREAKED OUT I AM THAT I HAV A HIGH SCHOOL-AGED CHILD?) has those water chains everywhere instead of downpipes. I love them.