Sunday, December 24, 2006

We three kings of Orient are, Bearing gifts we traverse afar...

You know, everyone gives you THINGS. Scarves, purses, sweaters, books, chocolates, pots and pans, jewelry, pets, waffle irons, coats, dishwashers, furniture, pajamas, lingerie, perfume, wallets, toys, laptops, heck, rumor has it that some people even give cars. (Not to mention the gold, frankincense, and myrrh.)

Anyone can give you a THING. I, however, being a virtual friend, am able to take liberties with your Christmas gifts, my schweet little Internetties.
And so I shall.

This Christmas I give you something that’s impossible to wrap up and place under the tree. I give you each an encounter of some sort (usually appropriate, but not always) with a fictional character, carefully chosen for my own good reasons, with you - and them - in mind.

Enjoy, and the merriest of Christmasses, my dear Internet friends!

Gina, my dear, there were so many choices perfect for you. Hope this does ok. – Afternoon tea with Elizabeth Bennett

Blackbird – Drinks with J. Maarten Troost. Ok, I know he’s not fictional but he’s lived on Tuvalu. You could have a lot to discuss!

Joke – An appropriately Iberic dinner with Emilio Sandoz

Badger –Dinner at Liquor with G-Man

Kilowatt Hour – A consultation with Dr. Jonathan Hullah

Carolyn –A fling with Rhett Butler

Jess –A day with the Casson family

Lazy Cow – A weekend with Ralph de Briccasart

My sweet friend Suse – Dinner – and whatever follows… - with Scotland Yard Inspector Alan Grant

Peg –Dinner with Mary Russell

Mary –A barbecue at Tara with Scarlett O’Hara

Rogue Librarian –A dinner and brandy and smokes with Sherlock and Mycroft Holmes

Sarah Louise – An afternoon progging with Sara Louise

Loretta – A week at Elm Creek Quilt Camp

Delta - Lunch with Clare

Katya –A tour of Dream’s library with Lucien

Rebecca – A conversation with Rose and Ruby Darlen

Liz – A (of course somewhat snarky) gossip with Anne and Cornelia

Hungry in LA…something… with Howard Roark

Amy - An afternoon in the company of Alessandra Cecchi

Katy - An instructional session with Madame DeFarge

Mscellania – A weekend at The Cloisters with Rae Strouse

Ssheers – A pleasantly long talk with Brother Cadfael

anatidaeling – A day rollerskating with Lucinda Wyman

L – A (funded) shopping trip with Becky Bloomwood

S – A journey with Dinah

Hair-in-His-Eyes Guy – Darts with Death

I am sure I missed some of you, and for that I apologize, and gift you a seat at a joint lecture by Roland Michell and Maud Bailey, operating under the assumption that it’s always a safe and pleasant idea to give people something you would like for yourself.

Merry Christmas!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, thank you! It's perfect! (And it intersects nicely with my other life, as Ruth Sawyer was a force in the early days of library service to children. Her "Way of the Storyteller" was required reading when I was in library school.)

I gotta go find my skate key...

Joe said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Joke said...

Merry Christmas, BabBab. (You too, Gina, wherever you are.)

-J.

Anonymous said...

How fabulous: a mystery series I haven't read yet, and amazon readers give it lots of stars. What a great present !!! Thank you!

Sarah Louise said...

oh how delightful! How ever did you know?

--Sary Lou

Anonymous said...

Why, thank you, Babelbabe! That girl needs whipping into shape. I am not going to put up with any of her crap.

Badger said...

Dude! Awesome! It's just what I wanted! (I assume Lionel Essrog will be joining G-Man and myself for after-dinner drinks, yes?)

I would have given ssheers a roll in the hay with Joe Morelli or Ranger (or both!) but your gift was undoubtedly more appropriate.

blackbird said...

Genius!

A perfect gift for me -
thanks oodles!

Jess said...

Love it! Thank you - things are so over-rated. And merry Christmas!

Suse said...

Amazing. I bought that book at the op shop on Christmas Eve-Eve. You are amazing.

Thank you.

Peg said...

From your lips to God's ears, as the saying goes... thank you for being thoughtful, and Merry Christmas to you, too.

lazy cow said...

I adored The Thorn Birds (book and mini-series). Can Ralph look like Richard Chamberlain (only not gay)? Thank you for my Christmas present. I don't need any more things!

Katy said...

You know just what to get a knitter! I should go and re-read that book, since I haven't since 9th grade English.

Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the gift, Babelbabe! It's a lovely series of books.

David said...

I got a rock...

TLB said...

Thank you! I think it's time I took your advice on The Girls.