Thursday, June 01, 2006

“We had gay burglars the other night. They broke in and rearranged the furniture.” - Robin Williams

Don't I WISH.





This is my least favorite piece of furniture, which is really saying something because I am hopelessly sentimental about furniture. I HATE to get rid of a piece, ever. But this stupid couch has become the bane of my existence. The slipcover is hideous. Because the seat cushions are loose, regular slipcovers always look like crap and YOU try to keep a cover all tucked in when your children's idea of fun is to jump around the furniture like coked-up chimpanzees. The bedspread-as-cover thing doesn't work either because it's just butt-ugly.

But the plaid clashes with the carpet AND the walls AND the other furniture.

Also, because, dammit, we bought quality, the stupid thing won't fall apart, and H loves it because it's FIRM. So while I long for a nice, squishy, neutral-ish new/new-to-us sofa, I am saddled with this stupid thing and yes, I AM BITTER.

****************


Thursday Show-and-Tell, courtesy of Blackbird

7 comments:

Paula said...

You could always "engineer" a mishap!? Heh, heh.

Paula said...

Oh. and it's not that bad.

blackbird said...

Plaid, though.
It is plaid.

It's funny (or not) but I was just thinking something *could* happen to it...

PJ and I have so much in common.

Caro said...

I have that same sofa in green and white and I am heartily sick of it.

But I refuse to get more furniture for the kids to color on.

Sarah Louise said...

I adore the quote. Do you have summer plans for the sofa?

sara said...

It has a nice shape, though. (she said consolingly...)

Peg said...

I like the plaid. Honest. I understand it doesn't agree with the color of the walls, but still. A nice plaid.

And -- apparently they're at least *clean* coked-up chimpanzees. You get extra A+ credit for keeping that cover so clean and white.

Scott refuses to give up our disgusting (yet very comfortable) sofa, so we're getting a quote from a "good" furniture company to re-cover it. It'll probably cost almost as much as getting a new sofa altogether, but this way everyone wins; he gets to keep the sofa, and I get a "new" one.