Monday, February 06, 2006

Fightin' Mad

I am about to get my period, ladies and gentlemen. Add that to the fact that I'm tweaking the Zoloft dosage and that it's Pledge Time again, and you can see why I'm in no mood to be messed with.

Someone needs to tell Cingular. I may have mentioned that I wanted to get Teddy a Firefly, that cute little phone for kids that enables them to call Mom, Dad and 911 at the press of a button. So we got the Firefly, and a new phone for me, because I HAD TO GET A NEW PHONE WHEN I ADDED THE $9 FAMILY PLAN. Don't ask me why. I didn't complain, though, and I took the new phone that was free with the new contract.

It turns out that the Firefly phone was a total piece of crap. No reception. Loose connections. Just garbage. So I called and asked to exchange it for a real phone. They had a real phone on sale (read: cheaper than the Firefly) that was nicer than the new phone I'd just gotten, so I asked if I could make THAT phone mine and just give my current new phone to the boy. Fine.

So the new phone that I now have is in fact so fancy and so much nicer than the plebian phone I used to have that I need to pay even more money to make it do the things my old phone did for free. Does anyone see the logic in that? (It actually has to do with the fact that this new phone relies on the Internet for things the old phone did in rudimentary ways . . . er . . . just wirelessly.)

I HATE THIS!

Now I have to spend my evening (because you KNOW it's going to take all evening) in the stupid Cingular store, trying to get this sorted out.

I am spitting nails.

*****

Here's something nice, though: Val did indeed talk me into getting Motherless Brooklyn. Love. LOVE! In addition to the fact that it's a good story, and that Lionel is a wonderful and hilarious character, Lethem's writing is just GOOD. Look:

"Until placed in this soup's care I hadn't realized how chilled I was, how starved for comfort. It felt as if the soup were literally embracing my heart."

If that's not freaking beautiful, I don't know what is.

*****

It's getting to be time for me to try out THAT CUP THING. I admit that I'm starting to get scared.

*****

I have filed my 2005 taxes, and I am getting a refund for the first time in a number of years. HA!

*****

Thank you for listening, Internet. Over and out.

4 comments:

Badger said...

When you finish Motherless Brooklyn, read The Fortress of Solitude.

Also, the phone thing sucks.

Also, I am having one of those days where everything I touch turns to poo, so I feel your pain.

Furthermore, good luck with that cup thing.

blackbird said...

okay, but "Pledge Time" refers to something at work, right?

I mean, we aren't all going to start calling PMS "Pledge Time" are we?

OR ARE WE?

BabelBabe said...

totally curious about that cup thing, although I use ob exclusively, so feel ok environmentally and whatnot with that too : )

I have Fortress of Solitude, you can borrow it - but I just finished Girl in Landscape. Very odd little book. it reminded me, for some reason, very much of Stewart O'Nan's A Prayer for the Dying.

how'd the phone thing go? since I can't get the juicy details at lunch due to pledge - damn pledge.

Joke said...

Cup thing? Period?

ICAN'THEARYOUICAN'THEARYOUICAN'THEARYOULALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALAICAN'THEARYOUICAN'THEARYOUICAN'THEARYOUICAN'THEARYOUICAN'THEARYOUICAN'THEARYOULALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA

-J.