Thursday, December 15, 2005

In Praise of Alan Moore

I just read the second volume of Top Ten, which is a saga about a super hero police force in a city where every citizen has some kind of super power. The concept is cool and the stories are fast and engaging and they kick ass. The characters are defined and developed, and they kick ass too. This isn't a comic for youngsters, because there's violence and swearing, sexual innudendo, other adult situations, and shots of an old man's butt, but it's definitely something to check out if you're at all curious about graphic novels.

Alan Moore is also the wonderful mind behind The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which I can't say enough good things about.

Seriously, people. If you're frazzled and overwrought because of too much Christmas vulgarity, and you find that you can't concentrate on any of the various books you've tried picking up in order to sooth and distract yourself, have a look at some of these. They're fast, furious and fun. Oh, yeah: They're addictive, so beware. I'm hoping for B&N gift cards for Christmas so I can get Watchmen next.

3 comments:

Joke said...

I got these, blind, on your say so. If they suck I'll see you in court.

-J.

Gina said...

They don't suck, so we'll have to skip the court date. Perhaps you'll turn into a comics geek, though, and we can meet up at the next Comic-Con, or whatever they're called. I'm going to sew my own costume and call myself Anxiety Girl. It'll be great.

Joke said...

Only if the Donald Duck comics are represented.

(Great, now I'm having Chasing Amy flashbacks...THANKS.)

-J.