Sunday, November 20, 2005

Your friend is the man who knows all about you, and still likes you.

It has become quite clear in the past several days that I have a problem, an addiction of a somewhat unsettling nature: I have taken umpteen photos of my kids, of pretty scenes, of interesting objects. I have taken photos of animals at the zoo, objects around my house that please me, quirky little characteristics of houses in the neighborhood. But now…I go to a birthday party, a perfectly normal place to take photos, and indeed take pictures of the birthday girl and her friends attending the party. But I also take photos of THE FOOD - because the plates are pretty and I wish to share this fascinating fact with my blog buddies.
I long for my camera so I can share how I see the world, with people whom I have never physically met. I suppose this is the way people throughout the ages have made and grown friendships, we just happen to be doing it in a huge and anonymous environment. I wonder if any sociologists anywhere have done studies of the phenomenon of the Internet friendship.
Gina knows how I see the world already as she has been my physical, in-person friend for close to ten years [God bless her, I don’t know how she puts up with me sometimes]; I think I present myself fairly truly, don’t I, Gina? How do you think the process of becoming and staying your friend was/is different from whatever process is happening now, with people with whom we are building relationships online?

You see, this is what being awake at 3 a.m. with a hungry baby does to your thought processes.

Here are some of those photos of the food, in case you were wondering.
What they say about me, other than the fact that I am a loony, is that I have a weakness for 1) food, and 2) colorful plates, or maybe just plates in general.
And now YOU know.



11 comments:

Joke said...

The food seems too, um, foodie for a birthday party.

I approve.

-J.

Peg said...

I remember the same kind of feeling when you had Terce. I was as happy (and relieved that it all went well) as if we knew each other "in real life." Personally I'm getting a huge kick out of seeing your photos, seeing what you love most about your world. I want to start doing the same, actually, except I'm still having trouble with the webspace where I store digital photos.

Gina said...

In some ways I think it's easier to be on-line friends, because we're always presenting our best selves on the blogs. We're literally able to edit everything we say/show. We can be honest, but that honesty can be tweaked in a way that face-to-face honesty can't be.

Blog friends can't see you cry, or see the spit-up on your shoulder, or sense the tension coming off you in waves . . . unless you want them too.

Blog friends can't see you spit Coke out your nose when you laugh with a mouthful. They can't hear your crazed cackle, your fake accent, or your voice quiver.

Having blog friends helps me a lot, though, because even when I'm editing, I can be honest in a different way . . . it's like free therapy sometimes.

Am I making any sense? Am I answering your question at all?

Joke said...

IMCO, cyber-pals are a "better" version of pals because they are judging you only on the basis of personality (imperfectly transmitted via the written word, admittedly) and not on whether you have a crooked tooth, breathe with your mouth, snort when you laugh or have to use the potty every 12 minutes.

BUT...there is nothing better than turning a cyber-pal into a flesh-pal.

One man's opinion,

-J.

Sarah Louise said...

BB--it's fun being your friend on and off line. Seriously, I have seen worse photo addictions. I'll post the birthday party later...

halloweenlover said...

I wanted more details about the food at the party! It looks delish!

Badger said...

Those things on the red plate look like they're sneaking up on the dip.

Joke said...

Kinda like cannibals dancing around the big kettle where they put the missionary...

-J.

Caro said...

Hey, I have to pee every 12 minutes. Three kids will do it to you!

I'm with Gina. It's easier to edit. In real life, I have the worst case of foot in mouth disease. There are still things on my blog that are probably not appropriate but nothing like the strange stuff that tends to escape my mouth in real time.

Sarah Louise said...

online you can't tell that I've erased at least 3 things already, including: details on the party are forthcoming but I am in the "flesh world" living life and getting ready for Thanksgiving!

BabelBabe said...

I ate the crab and corn fritters before they reached the remoulade.

and in the interest of full disclosure, the party was at a restaurant.