Monday, November 07, 2005

This is Going to Be Long--Sorry

I had kind of a rough weekend; I was a bridestroll in the wedding of a very good and very old friend, R.

First of all, no one should have to serve as a bridestroll after the age of thirty. Seriously. I’m too old to wear a stupid dress-—especially strapless—-and be required to wear that much make-up and hairspray. (Please note that I typically wear glasses, Birks, clothes with elastic waists, and no make-up. I dry my hair in the morning, but only because it’s too cold to go outside with a wet head. I am not good with the girly fussing, and I don’t like it at all.)

Okay, but that stuff is really all minor. This wedding was in no way about me. I was there to support R, and look the way she wanted me to look. I didn’t *like* looking like a shiny red apple in a strapless dress, but whatever. It was her day.

Here come the hard things: R has two sisters; one is my age, and one is my sister’s age. (R is three years older than her sister and me.) We all used to be a big happy friendship family filled with sisters. And then R’s two sisters kind of went berserk and turned into horrible, wicked witches. They don’t talk to my sister and me at all anymore, and they don’t talk to R or any of their cousins. They are evil. Did I mention that I’ve never felt more betrayed by people of my own gender than I have by those two? They’re awful.

Anyway, they weren’t at this wedding. Instead, my sister and I (in our fifth wedding together, including our own weddings) filled their places. It’s horrible for me to know that my sister and I had to fill in for her living, breathing sisters, even though they’re hags.

Why so horrible? Because R is dying, and the sisters don’t care. R has something called Scleroderma, which is scheduled to kill her in about five years or so. Imagine hearing the husband vow to love and honor and what-not “until death do us part”, knowing that death really is imminent. AND that R has three kids (two with her ex-husband and one with the guy she just married.)

So that was another hard thing.

Top it off with this: R still loves her ex-husband. They got divorced because he’s an alcoholic, and because he wouldn’t do anything about it. He was irresponsible about it to the point where he was pulled over with the kids in the car.

He’s come a long way since then, and I know they still love one another. He was at the wedding (along with most of his family), and I almost had to run from the room in tears when he and R danced. I don’t know what they were whispering while they held each other, but the whole scene made me even more sad than I already was.

Sigh.

And there you have it. Poor R.

I spent most of yesterday recovering from a sinus headache that I’m sure I brought on to myself by smoking cigarettes at the wedding. But can you blame me?

Sorry to go on and on. This has been bugging me, and I just had to get rid of some of it. You know?

8 comments:

BabelBabe said...

i did not realize how bad scleroderma is, poor R. indeed. god. no wonder you smoked -- i would have gotten drunk, too.

see. i told you you needed yesterday, to relax and sleep. no wonder.

Joke said...

This is monumentally sad.Not sad enough for me to smoke, but enough to spend quality time with Bloody Mary.

-J.

Gina said...

I guess I didn't realize how much Saturday wiped me out. I'm glad the wedding is over. She's happy, her husband and kids are happy, and I suppose I should be happy too.

Oh--I forgot to mention one other horrific things about the wedding: One of R's cousins, whom I've known with all these other people since my Catholic school days, is now a suburban Virginia Stepford Wife and the mother of three kids under 7. And she's totally, visibly addicted to cocaine.

What a trainwreck.

Caro said...

How sad that she is dying and her own sisters don't give a crap. What a pair they sound like.

Joke said...

Trainwreck? This is the Hindenburg.

-J.

Peg said...

You know what, Gina?

I want you on my team when the chips are down. Cause clearly you're in it for the long haul.

I could feel that strange, oh-my-god-I-could-cry-at-any-moment feeling in my stomach as I read what you wrote. I wonder if you were feeling that, at the same time that you were being there, behaving perfectly normally, as if all was well. I had a brief experience with that feeling this weekend -- such dysfunction -- but I can't imagine a wedding filled with it.

R, for all of her misfortune, is blessed to have a friend like you. I don't know that I would have had the fortitude to have gone through with that, no matter how much I loved her. No matter how long we had been friends.

Gina said...

Thanks, Peg. I'm ready to cry all over agian, but thanks.

Badger said...

Oh MAN. I would not have made it through without sobbing my eyes out. I can't even watch frickin' Extreme Makeover Home Edition, for crying out loud, and I don't even KNOW those people!