Sunday, August 28, 2005

Every Party Needs a Pooper

This may be profane and/or blasphemous, but I have to say it anyway: I hate Disneyworld. I do. I hate it. I hate the Magic Kingdom. I hate Epcot. I hate MGM and the Animal Kingdom. Call me a spoilsport. Call me un-American. I really hope I never have to go back to that sweltering pit of noise and excess.

There certainly were cool things to see in each of those places (I liked “Tower of Terror”, “Mickey’s Philharmagic”, and the safari in the Animal Kingdom, and there was a great water park) and I am happy that Teddy and my mom had such a good time—it’s always fun to see the joy and excitement of people you love, even if you can’t really share it—but if it weren’t for their sakes, I would have either left early, spent the entire week in the hotel room, or carried on like a bored, annoyed, sweaty, tired baby.

I can see how children would be thrilled with the place, especially if they care for particular movies or characters. Teddy loves to ride, and he’s still young enough that he didn’t notice how lame most of the rides are. (Aside from MGM’s “Tower of Terror”, which is a freight elevator version of Kennywood’s “Pitfall” and Cedar Point’s “Demon Drop”, I’ve ridden cooler rides in other parks.) Honestly, though, I think Teddy's favorite things were the little gecko things that ran rampant around our resort, and the Lego store in Downtown Disney. There was a whole family walking dogs with this Lego kid!



I can even understand why my mom was so thrilled with the place—she’s 55 and has wanted to go to Disneyland since its inception when she was a little kid. It took her fifty years, but she finally got there, and with the added bonus of sharing it with one of her grandsons. I’ll forgive her enthusiasm.

I can’t understand why adults would go there without kids, though. For the love of God, WHY would (many) people honeymoon there?!?!?!? I don’t get it.

It seems to me that Disneyworld is nothing more than an enormous mall filled with photo-ops. Most of the rides aren’t even real rides—they’re simulators. And don’t get me started on Epcot’s “World Showcase”. It’s like Disney is saying, “Don’t bother to live life or experience anything for yourself. We’ll bring our version of everything right here to you, sanitized for your protection. Why would you go to France when you can talk to someone with a Parisian accent right here by this lovely fountain where you can be photographed eating a baguette?” Although I *do* love this picture of Fez Boy in "Morocco".



I can’t express how happy I am to be home.

In other news, school starts this week, and Ted is thrilled with the prospect of third grade. I’m pleased to be starting back too, especially since one of my classes is Resources for Children. The reading list ranges from Mother Goose to Harry Potter, and I’m thrilled. I just read The Giver and am about half way through Because of Winn-Dixie. I have to get through these quickly since they’re for class, but I’m happy to have more books to share with Ted. Hooray for school!

6 comments:

Kathy said...

Sorry you hated Disneyworld but I know how you feel. We used to live in Orlando and only went to Epcot Center because we didn't have kids then and we think like you -- why would you bother to go to Disneyworld if you didn't have kids? Oh Lord! And the Canada exhibition at Epcot - my parents (actually all my family except me and my brothers and sisters) are Canadian -- it was such a sterotyped version of Canada!

Joke said...

As someone who goes to WDW fairly regularly, I marvel at the fact you went at the worst possible time of the year. Crowded and sweltering is no way to do anything. (Hey! Get your mind outa the gutter!)

The Haunted Mansion, just to throw out a random example is eleventy gazillion times more entertaining when you go during a a pleasant day and just wander in with the spring breeze, with no waiting.

Just a thought.

-Joke

Gina said...

I admit the weather was a factor, but . . . I just don't think WDW is my cup of tea. I'd rather spend my money/vacation time doing other things.

Caro said...

Disneyland is always overcrowded too. We just go for the kids. (It's a tradition to go for their third birthday.) I hate lines, I hate crowds, I hate California weather. I feel your pain.

Jess said...

I've never had any desire to go to Disneyworld or anywhere similar - a lot of it being that I hate crowds and nothing sounds interesting enough to make me put up with crowds. Even on a 'slow' day.

I LOVE The Giver - one of my favorites ever since I read it in 7th grade.

June Cleaver's Revenge said...

Oh thank goodness I am not the only one who feels that way about Disneyworld.

I have never liked it.

I moved away from Florida about four years ago, and before we left we decided it would be a good idea to take the children to Disney World because it would be our last chance. It was one of the worst days of my life. Not a one of us had anything remotely resembling fun. The only time the children smiled the entire day was when we left and bought them an ice cream cone.