Saturday, March 18, 2006

What can you ever really know of other people's souls...? - CS Lewis

[If Babelbabe were a college subject, and you majored in it, more fool you, these are some of the required reading texts. They are subject to change, and the bookstore may not carry all of them.]

Childhood, or: I Was an Awkward Child
Roller Skates – Ruth Sawyer
Emily of New Moon/Emily Climbs/Emily’s Quest – LM Montgomery
Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm
The Katy books – Susan Coolidge
Every Trixie Belden ever written
The Cat Ate my Gymsuit – Paula Danziger
The Grounding of Group Six – Julian Thompson
Below the Salt – Thomas Costain
Came a Cavalier – Frances Parkinson Keyes
The Wind in the Willows – Kenneth Grahame
The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood – Howard Pyle
Little Women/Little Men/Eight Cousins – Louisa May Alcott
Madeleine L’Engle’s fiction for children: Time trilogy; also Camilla, And Both Were Young, The Arm of the Starfish, and the Austin books

Education, or: How I Learned to Read What I Read
Satanic Verses/Midnight’s Children – Salman Rushdie
Robber Bride/Blind Assassin/Handmaid’s Tale – Margaret Atwood
Possession/ the Frederica Potter quartet - AS Byatt
Cloud Atlas – David Mitchell
Red Noses – Peter Barnes
Arcadia – Tom Stoppard
Works of John Donne
Essays of Francis Bacon
Animalia – Graeme Base
Lolita – Vladimir Nabokov
Pride and Prejudice/Northanger Abbey/Sense and Sensibility – Jane Austen

Religion, or: How Christianity Screwed Me Up
Ethan Frome/House of Mirth – Edith Wharton
My Fundamentalist Education: A Memoir of a Divine Girlhood – Christine Rosen
Virgins – Caryl Rivers
The Small Rain/A Severed Wasp – Madeleine L’Engle
Phillip Pullman’s His Dark Materials trilogy
The Red Tent – Anita Diamant
The Bible, King James Version

Relationships, or: Nobody’s Perfect
A Big Storm Knocked It Over – Laurie Colwin
In Watermelon Sugar – Richard Brautigan
Jitterbug Perfume – Tom Robbins
The Alexandria Quartet – Lawrence Durrell
Spending – Mary Gordon

Family, or: Why I Have an Excellent Therapist
The Mask of Motherhood: How becoming a mother changes our lives and why we never talk about it – Susan Maushart
The Shell Seekers – Rosamunde Pilcher
Brain, Child magazine

Career, or: I Didn’t Have the Energy to Go to Med School
Ambulance Girl – Jane Stern
When the Air Hits your Brain – Frank Vertosick
The Coming Plague – Laurie Garrett
The Corpse Had a Familiar Face – Edna Buchanan
How Reading Changed my Life – Anna Quindlen
Ex Libris – Anne Fadiman
The Polysyllabic Spree – Nick Hornby
The Library – Sarah Stewart
Chicago Style Guide, 14th edition

Pastimes, Hobbies, and Interests, or: Just Because I Enjoy Reading about Mt Everest Doesn’t Mean I Want to Climb It!
Shark! Unpredictable Killer of the Sea – Thomas Helm
Eiger Dreams/Into Thin Air – Jon Krakauer
In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex – Nathaniel Philbrick
The Runner’s Handbook – Bob Glover
The City of Florence – RWB Lewis
Home Cooking/More Home Cooking – Laurie Colwin
The Persian Pickle Club – Sandra Dallas
Jaws – Peter Benchley
Voyage of the Narwhal – Andrea Barrett

Viscera, or: The Essence of Me
Stones from the River – Ursula Hegi
The Sparrow – Mary Doria Russell
All of Josephine Tey
The Salterton trilogy – Robertson Davies
The Secret Garden – Mary Hodgson Burnett

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous list - I'm off to look up some of the ones I'm not familiar with. I'd take a class in you anytime.

Sarah Louise said...

Yes, it's clear we're friends...haven't thought of the Grounding of Group Six for awhile...

Bookhart said...

The Mask of Motherhood should be required reading for all new moms--I read it in the depths of post-partum depression and it changed my life. I'm also a huge The Sparrow fan.

Caro said...

I find that I want to read "The Cat Ate My Gymsuit". It sounds fun.

Bec said...

I's so with you on the childhood: because, can you tell? Me being rebecca and my firstborn being Katy (commonly known as the Pea Princess)?
Yep, that's a connection all right!

Gina said...

Would you still love me if you knew I'd never read Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm? It's just one of those things that never happened.

Jess said...

I can't imagine growing up and not reading LM Montgomery, Louisa May Alcott, and Madeleine L'Engle. They basically defined childhood and growing up to me.

BabelBabe said...

I will always, always, always love you.

But I'm lending you my copy of Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm. It's absolutely as smarmy as Little Women, but just as comforting.

Joke said...

OMG...I'd drowning in estrogen-laced shmaltz! ;-)

-J.

Sarah Louise said...

Pollyanna...I remember her punishment was always to copy out Psalm 119, 'cause it was the longest one. I don't remember Rebecca much, though. I did read it, though!!!

Suse said...

I adore the smarminess (and marmee-ness) of all the Little Women books. I tried to read Geraldine Brooks' book 'March' which is supposed to be the tale of the missing patriarch, but I couldn't finish it. Have you read it? Geraldine Brooks wrote my all time favourite book 'Year of Wonders' so I was really looking forward to March, but just couldn't do it. Sad really.

I loved your confessions post. I too wonder about the insurance from a bus incident, and steal from my children.

I think I'm going to have to post my own confessions too. Hmmm.

KPB said...

My head hurts. You and Bec need to talk more as I am like the Village Idiot to her Sage Oracle. Or something.
To show you where my head is at, I was reading the list and thought it read, "The grouding of group sex" and thought, "wow, she must have had a childhood to rival Augusten Burroughs.
I laughed so hard at your confessions - the one about stealing money from your kids for coffee? Dude, I steal money out of their bank accounts.

BabelBabe said...

SL _ I HATE Pollyanna, the self-righteous little twit. To mention her and Rebecca in the same sentence - heresy!

Suse! Me too! I LOVED Year of Wonders (I'll read ANYTHING about the plague : )) but I rushed out to buy March in hardback and made it maybe fifty pages in before I gave up. And I so wanted to love it. I saw about the storms in Queensland yesterday, and rushed to see where all my Aussie blogger buds were from. Was esp. concerned for you as I knew you were camping. Glad you are ok.

And Kim- I admit the Grounding had some *mild*, teenage sex scenes in it which fueled all sorts of curiosity on the part of this little Baptist girl, let me tell you! And sadly I lent that book out and it's never been returned, andis now out of print. But I think of it fondly,a nd now will also laugh whenever it crops up.