Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Fudge-Covered Peanut Butter-Filled Pretzels in Vanilla Malt Ice Cream Rippled with Fudge & Peanut Butter

Snippets all over the place today:

Gina is home, calloo callay.


"Starbucks Coffee, to fit your every mood." This morning’s brew: a nonfat mocha latte, no whip. In case you cared. I had to weigh carefully the merits of throwing in a shot of peppermint syrup, or perhaps going the chai route, as I am exhausted this morning and could use the soothing warmth and gentle spiciness of a chai. In the end, caffeine and calcium won out.


I don’t know who writes the Post Gazette’s headlines, but they clearly missed the boat with this one: Did Putin plagiarize Pitt professors?. *I* would have said, “Perhaps Putin plagiarized Pitt Professors?” I mean, if you’re going to do something, you might as well do it right. Or go whole hog. Or whatever cockeyed expression I am reaching for here...


I used to be a college basketball fiend. (Diehard Duke fan, in case you are wondering. I still harbor a wholly inappropriate crush on Bobby Hurley.) Isn’t it funny how having children seriously distracts from VITAL SPORTING EVENTS like the NCAA Final Four?


Students at the library where I work call the study carrels “rooms. So they’ll come in and ask for “a room on the second floor.” Or “a room for three people.” And it makes me to laugh and laugh. I am so unprofessional. You don’t need to tell me.


I went for a walk this morning, with an eye towards training for a 10K race in the fall. The last time I planned something like this, I got pregnant with Terzo and gave birth the weekend before my half-marathon would have been run. The time before THAT, I trained for a triathlon only to discover that I would be ten weeks pregnant on the day of the event. I did it anyway. Segundo turned out ok, even if I finished DEAD LAST in the run portion because it was so hot and I was so exhausted. (I kicked butt in the pool though.)


When your legs/stomach/butt itches after you have exerted yourself doing something like walking or running, is that the fat burning? I’ve always wondered…


I just did a huge grocery shop and got home only to realize I had forgotten three vital things. Sigh. It’s naptime now – for Seggie and the baby, and probably for Mama as well. I did remember to buy some Green and Black’s chocolate with whole almonds, and two pints of B&J’s Chubby Hubby…so am set, for at least, oh , three days.


And speaking of Ben and Jerry’s, why is this flavor only available at their retail stores: Coconut Almond Fudge Chip (coconut ice cream with fudge chips and roasted almonds) - I mean, conveniently, one opened in Squirrel Hill a year or so ago, so I can get it there – but if I am going to Squirrel Hill specially for ice cream, I’ll just go to Baskin-Robbins for German chocolate cake ice cream, or for that matter, press on to Oakland, to Dave and Andy’s where they sell homemade-on-the-premises ice cream – and among their flavors is Almond Joy, coconut ice cream with chocolate-covered almonds…but if I can only get myself to the grocery store…why can’t I get coconut almond fudge chip to take home with me? As I tell Primo on a regular basis, life is not fair.


And one last thing – she blushes - in a moment of, shall we say, closeness this morning, I found myself composing a blog entry in my head. (This does not say *anything* about H; it does, however, say worlds about me. And no, I am NOT proud of myself.) What I need to know – am I the only fruitcake to do this? I mean, I’ve done it before, composing while walking around the zoo, or riding the bus to work, or watching TV with the boys…or, God forgive me, during church…but it seems like I have crossed the line with this one. To find myself composing posts in my head at the *most* inappropriate times…perhaps I should cut down on my blogging time.

15 comments:

MsCellania said...

I'm jealous that you were having a close moment with your partner. Not so surprised with the multitasking.
Or wait; was there another person involved in the aforesaid 'close moment'?
And the verification sounds like "grope queue" Hmmmm, Appropriate.

Caro said...

If my legs, stomach and butt itch after exerting myself, I change my laundry detergent.

Regarding blogging, during an intimate moment, I'll send you an e-mail regarding that one.

Just know you aren't alone. :D

lazy cow said...

No, you are not alone. It's a sickness ;-)

Lynne@Oberon said...

I think I need to get more adventurous with my coffee combinations - all of yours sound good :)
Have never composed a blog entry during 'intimacy' ... but I do in the shower, in the car, at work ....

blackbird said...

okay - I think I missed the point on the butt itching part.

have you heard that comedian who does the bit about
if you eat 3/4 of a pint of ice cream you are a pig - but if you eat a pint of ice cream? YOU ARE THE VICTOR!

jenny said...

You have some excellent taste in ice cream.

As for kids and sporting events, I've been known to encourage my son to fall asleep on the living room floor during the Patriots Super Bowls because going all the way upstairs to lie down...unthinkable. Sick, isn't it?

One question...was this the blog post you were contemplating this morning?

Bookhart said...

At least you didn't stop your moment of "closeness" to scribble down your inspiration. Or did you? I'm guilty of scribbling frantically whilst driving myself.

Suse said...

Waiting with bated breath to read said post. Will we know it when we read it?

(Word verif: uuxfl. Which sounds somehow appropriate if you say it on an upward inflection.)

Kathy said...

I wouldn't plan anymore races if I were you! When I was pregnant, I could do some serious swimming -- it was amazing.

Gina said...

You know, if George Costanza can watch TV and eat a sandwich while he . . . has relations, there's really no reason why you shouldn't blog. You're all wireless now, aren't you? Throw in that ice cream, and you could certainly give George a run for his pleasure dollar. Serenity now!

David said...

that'd maybe be the difference between jounaling and writing I think.

Jess said...

I've never had B&J's coconut etc. but my God, I'm with you on the life not being fair because I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

I think once you get into the habit of mentally composing blog entries, you just. can't. stop yourself, no matter what.

BabelBabe said...

I may or may not alert the media when I put up that post. I'll have to see. But, no, it was not this one.

I can say no more.

Sarah Louise said...

I vould like to rent a rm...

SL, attempting to do a Peter Sellers accent in the comment box.

I had a study carrel in college. It was great! I decorated it with postcards and such.

On B&J: in my mind, there is bch and ach. Ach: there is no other b&j flavor I'll buy but chubby hubby (except that you can't get it at their shops--or at least not in a cone.) (defy me--when I was there, you couldn't. Perhaps they have changed since then)

Why am I so defensive? Who knows!

vw: havks, very appropriate for this post, methinks: have a kiss!

Joke said...

Just be careful what you save as a draft.

-J.