Friday, March 24, 2006

"In the light of the moon a little egg lay on a leaf."

Once there was a very hungry Terzo bambino.

He had slept and slept and slept and when he woke up at seven, he was very hungry.
He nursed well, both sides.
Then he burped.
But he was still hungry.

Then he ate a big big bowl of barley cereal.
And then he burped.
But he was still hungry.

Then he ate a container of applesauce, and he was still hungry, so he ate a leftover half container of applesauce, and then he burped.
But he was still hungry.

So then his mama mashed an entire freaking banana for him, which he gobbled all the way up.
And then he burped.
And cried a little bit and grabbed for her oatmeal.
So she gave him a biter biscuit.
And then he burped one final time.

And he was not hungry anymore.

At least, not until lunch!

And someday he will be a beautiful linebacker.

THE END


*****

Poor H has been getting angry emails at work each morning this week – first it was the wailing baby debacle, and now this:

I wonder what has become of my white plastic measuring spoons? I
have my suspicions...as they are ALL gone, apparently into the Bermuda Triangle of kitchen tools...and I can tell you right now that you can either have a wife who happily cooks yummy meals using her full complement of tools which she has carefully assembled over the years (and if that means FOUR ENTIRE sets of measuring spoons, well, the pot who owns SIX guitars can call the cooking kettle black all he wants!), OR you can have children playing with way more measuring spoons than they could possibly need and losing them all over the house.
You cannot have both.
I am just saying.
I had to reclaim my plastic measuring cups this morning.
I DO NOT want them using MY kitchen utensils, I don't know how much more clear I can make this point to our babysitter R, the boys Primo or Segundo, or anyone else concerned. And yet I am constantly finding things gone missing from my kitchen stuff.
And it makes me VERY grumpy.


*************

I stopped at the coffee shop yesterday very quickly for a double-shot latte, because I NEEDED the caffeine, and started talking to a woman who is looking for a bridge fourth. She has a group of friends who get together to play occasionally. They do pinochle too. She gave me her email, because I thought H would be interested. She's a Cornell alum, which I discovered because I asked where she went to college since, you know, us *non*-Ivy types just played quarters in college.

7 comments:

Caro said...

Holy Moly that' a lot of food!

I HATE when I can't find my measuring spoons/cups.

Playing quarters sounds way more fun than pinochle to me!

Gina said...

Can you get Primo to illustrate your version of the story for Terzo?

Jess said...

"Children playing with way more measuring spoons than they could possibly need" - how many DO they need, exactly? I also love that you've carefully assembled your kitchen tools over the years - I've only got two sets of spoons & cups, though. I housesat for a family and gained enormous respect for them when I saw how many nicely stacked sets of measuring cups they owned.

And The Very Hungry Terzo is wonderful - I want illustrations, too!

Joke said...

I maintain a carefully centered existence by having only one guitar and one set of measuring spoons.

Woebetide whomever fux with either.

-J.

BabelBabe said...

But....Joke....do they all fit in everything? I have the plastic ones because they are long and skinny so fit in spice jars. And I have your standard run-of-the-mill metal wide-bowl ones, 2 sets, taken off the rings and put in a jar on the counter, for everyday use. And then I have a lovely set of Williams Sonoma heavy metal spoons, that I use almost exclusively for baking. And I have clearly demonstrated that I can't live w/o any of them! I can't imagine one set would do me.

And Jess - my children have a better-equipped (play) kitchen than many adults I know.

I will think about illustrations and consult with Primo. We may do some sort of photo collage thingey.

lazy cow said...

Enjoy the wonderful food chubbiness of Terzo. My Boy still occasionally has 4 bowls of breakfast (but then he eats barely anything for the rest of the day). Love the V. Hungry Caterpillar story!
And I never thought about different sizes of measuring spoons, I'm sick of shaking spice jars over my big ones and making huge messes...

Joke said...

Um, BabBab...yeah. These spoons fit in everything AND they are designed by Michael Graves For Target [TM] so they look snazzy as well.

And they go in and out of spice jars just fine. They hang on a peg and are held together by an orangy-yellow, egg-shaped (this is MG, after all) loop thingy.

But I lied.

I forgot I also have a teaspoon and tablespoon that are shaped like little measuring cups and go on my fridge because they are magnetized which is unspeakably cool. I never have to look for them, they are, like, RIGHT THERE. Always.

I also have a mini grater similarly affixed.

-J.

P.S. In college I just played "fake the accent to pick up girls."