Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Well, Hello There!

Where the hell have I been? I don’t know, I suppose that like Mr. Ed (whom I never really cared for—I thought it was mean that he would only talk to Wilbur), I never speak unless I have something to say. No, that’s not entirely true. I often blather on and on, just because I like the sound of my own words.

The truth is that I’ve been avoiding the computer—I guess I just needed a break. What have I been doing, you ask? Well, a fair bit of reading: Seventeenth Summer (which I hadn’t read since grade school), Dangerous Angels (I was too old for Weetzie Bat when she made her debut, but these are good stories), God-shaped Hole (the clerk at B&N raved over it, so I picked it up—it’s high quality chick-lit.), and Storm Front (which was a gift—a little too manly for me, but still a neat story. Check this author photo though—yikes!).

Do you guys know of this? Nick and Cartoon Network both pushed it pretty hard over the break, so of course the songs have snuck into the boy’s head (this also happened when they were pushing an Ann Murray CD, and Teddy got mad every time we teased him that she was his girlfriend). Anyway, I heard him singing one of those Christian “rock” songs from the back seat while we drove to the guitar store on Monday. You may not be surprised to learn that we aren’t really Christian Rock people. I turned to give him a look, and he totally deadpanned, “What? A boy can’t worship the Lord with rock music?” Should I feel pleased or guilty that he’s as sarcastic as I am?

Okay, so I spent the post-Christmas break reading a bit, hanging out with and harassing my boy, and . . . Playing with his new Xbox. I completely suck with it, which I expected, but I really like it, which I hadn’t expected at all. Teddy can’t stand to play with me because I’m so bad, but he’s kind about it.

A friend loaned me her Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets game, because she’s beaten it, and I have been spending hours at a time leading Harry though quests and challenges. I’m terrible, as I said, but I just keep plugging away. Addicted? Yes, a little. Ted went to the Steeler game with his grandfather on Sunday, and I spent the entire afternoon playing with HP instead of taking down the Christmas stuff. Oy!

That’s all for me, really. Ted and I spent New Year’s Eve at my parents’, playing board games and waiting for the ball to drop. It wasn’t terribly exciting, but we all had a good time. What more can a girl ask for? School starts back up tonight, and I can’t really say I’m looking forward to it. I’ve had too much fun slacking off.

Oh, also: I’m planning a vacation for Teddy and me in March. Anyone have any good tips on visiting London for cheap? I’d love some help . . .

19 comments:

BabelBabe said...

oohhh, take me, take me! it won't make your trip any cheaper but it could be fun!

with a name like jim butcher, really, his photo is perfect.

and you should be most pleased that the boy is as funny and sarcastic as you are.

Gina said...

Sometimes I really hate it when people so clearly fit stereotypes, you know? Um, Jim Butcher? If you're afraid people won't take you seriously as a genre writer unless you look the part, you need to work on your writing skills. Sheesh!

You're all cordially invited to join me in London during the last full week in March. I can't, however, pay for any of you. I would if I could, though!

Gina said...

Thanks for the tips, HiL. Evensong is already on the list. :-)

Peg said...

Holy shitsky I didn't know that Seventeenth Summer was still in print! I love that book, I really do. I have an old hardcover copy.

BabelBabe said...

holy sjitsky, Peg? i can say with confidence i have never heard that one : )

i've also never read 17th summer. will do so tuit suite.

BabelBabe said...

um, that'd be shitsky?

oops.

Joke said...

The problem with Christian Rock--and my theology is beyond dispute on this--is not the Rock part, and not the Christian part, but rather the fact it is all thoroughly, unquestionably lame. Like these guys decided to play music from the "How To Rock For Dummies" book.

Now, London cheap...tricky. NOT IMPOSSIBLE through. It will be made immeasurably cheaper by the fact you won't be interested in going down Savile Row or Jermy Street picking up gigabuck bits of gentlemen's apparel.

But it can be done, even with this untenable exchange rate. What do you want to DO in London?

-J.

Sarah Louise said...

Some CR is okay...it's just not *consistently* good. Gina, I will be in Boston at that time, but I could show you pics of when I was in London when I was Teddy's age. I have already requested God-Shaped Hole. I'm not a Francesca Lia Block fan, but I *may* look at Dangerous Angels, since I always would like to like her but I just can't bring myself to do it...Haven't looked at the author photo yet, I'll let you know what I think. I think I skim read 17th Sum when I was in Mary Kay's class (I assume that's why you're reading all this YA?). Oh, and I totally agree that Teddy has a wonderful sense of humor. I am grinning from ear to ear from his comment which was I'm sure so tongue in cheek--I've gotta meet this kid one of these days!

Sarah Louise said...

Yeah, that is one wacky author pic. Scary, even.

Badger said...

Okay, (a) I have read the first five books in that Jim Butcher series, no lie (the sixth is in hardback so it'll be a while before I read that one) and (2) It was that damn Worship Jamz commercial that led to a confusing conversation between the boy child and myself, memorialized forever on my blog: http://badgermeetsworld.blogspot.com/2005/04/deaf-and-stupid.html

Badger said...

Oh. Well, crap. That cut off.

Just look though my archives for the entry for April 2, 2005 titled "Deaf and stupid".

Or don't. After this much buildup, it'll only be a disappointment.

Caro said...

Scary author pic for sure. Was that a "Come hither" look or a "I want to carve you with a knife" look? Or is it a "come hither so I can carve you with a knife" look?

Regarding your son's sarcasm, LMAO at that one. What a wit.

My sister likes Christian Rock. Ugh.

Gina said...

Christian rock makes me sad, because I have this idea that only really lonely kids would listen to it. I have no basis for thinking that, but there you go.

I'll make my way over to your account, Badger--I'm always up for a good story.

Joke--I want to do all the regular tourist stuff with the boy. The eye, evensong at WM Abbey, Tower of London, blah, blah, blah. He wants to go to Stonehenge, too.

My issue isn't really with what to do (although suggestions are appreciated), but where to stay. When I was in London we lived in an apartment, so I don't know where to find a decent (safe, clean enough, toilets flush, etc.) but inexpensive hotel. Any thoughts?

Gina said...

Badger: War ship! :-)

Joke said...

Gina,

Your orders are like commands. Check out my humble blog BUT ALSO log into vrbo.com. This is where people will rent out their apt. for a week or so. Usually the location is WAY better than any hotel and the price ridiculously low.

I have no experience with how these work in London, but if the ones in Rome, Venice, etc. are anything to go by it's a steal.

-J.

BabelBabe said...

Oh, no, I am with joke on this one. CR - all awful and mediocre and stuff. It's consistent in that it's consistently BAD. And I am not open to listening to any new stuff to retest this opinion. Been there, done that, listen to Radiohead and Wilco now.

and Badger - You sunk my battleship!

Joke said...

Now, Christian Lounge music? That's...um...interesting.

-J.

Sarah Louise said...

As a non-lonely non-youth that listens to CCM (what they call Christian Rock: Contemporary Christian Music--there's even a magazine with the same name), I say yes, MOST of it is lame. But there are a few gems. As an information-monger (my librarian self cares little if you listen, just that you know the facts, ma'am) I'll throw out this one: If you're into worship that has an edge (it does exist) check out the latest by Kutless, "Strong Tower." And if you're looking for interesting lyrics that are sometimes worship-ful but often just thought provoking for any, check out anything by Caedmon's Call (the name is provoking, no?) especially "40 acres" which I almost know by heart. But BB, I am ONLY offering these because I see the need for a balanced view. And it will doubtless change anyone on this blog's POV, but Gloria Esteban does have some great tunes too. (I couldn't resist, knowing the Miami connection we have...) 1-2-3, do that Conga!

Sarah Louise said...

BB, couldn't comment on the lovely quilts on their post, so I'll comment here--lovely quilts!! gotta love blogger...