Thursday, January 19, 2006

Just Some Stuff

Did you all see the picture of Drew Barrymore from the Golden Globes? What is *up* with her?



*****

Consider the Lobster. Really. Consider it. I can't find the article to link to, but you should read it.

*****

Did you see that a group of parents is trying to sue Nickelodeon and Kelloggs? Because, you know, Kelloggs makes junky cereals and Nick advertises them and does product tie-ins? This makes me want to start smacking people. If you have enough time on your hands to take on legal battles against these kinds of giants, you probably have enough time to PARENT, and control most of what your kids eat and watch. I'm just saying.

*****

Confession: I can't stick to the macrobiotics. I have no problem at all with being a vegetarian, but I don't like enough vegetables to survive on what is essentially a vegan diet. I'm going to allow myself to eat Garden Burgers and things of that ilk, and I'm going to return to eggs and cheese. And just so I know, this makes me neither a bad person nor a bad friend.

13 comments:

Caro said...

Damn - Those are some big green watermelons aren't they?

So what is the lobster thing? Do I google it? If I gave up all meat, lobster would be the last to go. Do I want to read it, really?

Vegetarian is fine. Vegan? Yuck, I don't blame you at all.

Joke said...

My religious views will not permit me to give up, entirely, foods I love. Specifically:

Prosciutto, bacon, flat-iron steak (medium rare, leaning to rare), soy sauce, most mushrooms, fresh pasta, chocolate, corn, shellfish, seared tuna, wasabi, tomatoes, chiles, EVOO, all members of the allium tribe, maple, grilled chicken, and strange cheeses.

-J.

Joke said...

OMG.

The first time I saw the post the photo link was down.

All I can say is that gravity seems quite unkind to La Barrymore.

-J.

Major Bedhead said...

Her boobs are lower than mine and I've nursed two children. Yish.

More power to you on the vegetarian thing. I like meat far too much to give it up. And cheeses of all varieties. And butter. And chocolate. And coffee. And wine. Pretty much everything, really.

Joke said...

Hey, Gina...what general sorts of food do you LOVE and which do you HATE? I'm going through my cookbook software and need to weed out recipes that you'd think would suck.

-J.

Caro said...

Darn it - I just had to go and read the lobster article.

One of my favorite restaurant foods has now been ruined. Sigh.

I have to add that I only have one about once every eighteen months. Still, trying to escape the pot...ruining my appetite thinking of it.

BabelBabe said...

not me, man! We are higher on the food chain, so tough beans for the lobster! Although the first time my husband saw me eat lobster, I think he was terrified. Of me, not the lobster.

Joke said...

Carolyn,

That reminds of the scene in One Crazy Summer where one of the characters puts a stethoscope to the pot where the lobsters are boiling.

-J.

blackbird said...

hey Joke,
give someone else a chance!


I just wanted to say that apparently underwire bras are not up with Drew Barrymore.


And also that I have no dietary restrictions whatsoever.
I am Unitarian.

Gina said...

Bread, Joke, and chocolate. And cheese. Pizza is good, as it combines bread and cheese for maximum happiness. I like baked goods. Fruits. Tortilla chips. Junk food. Kid food. I'm so ashamed.

BabelBabe said...

Gina digs a good grilled cheese sandwich. Dipped in her carrot soup, this is quite good. If not macrobiotic.

and gina, the question is definitely more like, what's NOT up with Ms. Barrymore.

Caro said...

Thanks Joke,

Now I will have to rent One Crazy Summer. Netflix, here I come.

Joke said...

Carolyn: Anything directed by "Savage" Steve Holland is brilliant. Start with Once Crazy Summer and go from there. You're welcome.

Blackbird: Now you can BEGIN to see what an utter PITA I can be.

Gina: It's only the last two things that sink ya.

-J.