Monday, January 16, 2006

No purses! There's no time for purses!

Carolyn had an MLK celebratory dinner– but we are eating halupchi (Ukrainian stuffed cabbage) and biscuits for dinner this evening, and banana bread for dessert. It’s all about diversity, I suppose.
Happy MLK Day, and aren’t we all glad the kids are back in school tomorrow?

*******************

I finished A Thread of Grace last night. As I expected, I cried. What a heartbreaking, wonderful book. I have an astounding amount of respect for Mary Doria Russell and her talent. And if she recommends these books – well, I’ll read ‘em. Weirdly enough, I was transferring all the lists of books/authors/topics I need to research and check out from all the little scraps of paper on which they generally live into a blank book, and Simon Mawer was on the list. So I’ll probably start with Mendel’s Dwarf.

But immediately next up: Mark Haddon’s The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, recommended by Andrea.

******************

My blogging habits may change – today H. worked from home thereby forcing me to do chores in the morning, and shower, and take the kids to run errands. In other words, to be wildly productive. Because I could not get to the computer.
But this worked out well because I spent the dreaded "quality" time with them all, eating lunch at the mall and letting them run rampant around the playground, and they are all now sleeping or having quiet time and I can write in peace. This works much better for all concerned, including – especially - my overactive guilt gland. So you may want to look for new posts in the evenings instead from now on...we’ll see how that goes.

******************

Segundo: I like you, Mama.
Me: I like you, too, Seggie.
Segundo: I love you, Mama.
Me: I love you, too, Seggie.
Segundo: I like peanut butter, Mama.

We can all see where this is going, can’t we?
You must NEVER let down your parental guard!

****************

My brother made the mistake of dissing Segundo’s favorite hockey player the last time he visited. He kept saying, "Sidney Crosby, Schmidney Schmosby..."
Segundo now refers to Uncle Curt as Uncle Dirt.

****************


I bought a new purse yesterday – at the grocery store. Isn’t that bizarre? Never would’ve thought to shop for accessories at the Giant Eagle, but there you are. Bananas, yogurt, whole-wheat bread, Balance bars...and a purse. Isn’t it cute?
It replaces my beloved Tibetan black-silk-with-silver-embroidery bag. Which I loved literally to bits. I generally just need enough purse for wallet, phone, keys, lip goop, and a pen, so this fits the bill perfectly. They had them in pink and lime green, too, and they were adorable, but black makes the most sense for me. If only buying shoes were this simple.

8 comments:

BabelBabe said...

probably helps that you're SOBER.

I will post the recipe because it is the best banana bread recipe EVER. I got it from Gourmet magazine and it's amazing. I don't like banana bread but I like this banana bread.

i will work on the recipe post/link at work tomorrow : )

Kathy said...

Like the purse. I would also have gone with the black. Does it have enough room for a paperback book and an iPod?

blackbird said...

Brilliant!


(have just seen a Guinness commercial)

Sarah Louise said...

At Giant Eagle, REALLY? I'm thinking the Waterworks store? (says the woman who needs another purse like a hole in the head)

Caro said...

Uncle Dirt. LOL

I like the purse. It is cute.

Glad you got your quality Mom time in today. I don't do that nearly enough.

Caro said...

BTW, we are having stuffed cabbage rolls tomorrow night. You made me crave them.

Badger said...

I loved The Curious Incident. Also, it's what convinced me my son was autistic (which, surprise! he is).

Caro said...

What Badger, you mean I'm not the only one who posts here that has an arm-flapping kid?