Sunday, June 26, 2005

Retail Therapy

I spent much of the afternoon looking for summer shoes that will accommodate the orthotics I need to wear to support my ridiculous, flat, pronating feet. I didn’t find anything in Little’s, Grodon’s, DSW, or Target, so I drowned my sorrows at Barnes & Noble.

Here’s the haul: Nancy Pearl’s More Book Lust, Elinor Lipman’s The Pursuit of Alice Thrift (Lipman read an essay on The Splendid Table about incorporating food into her characters’ lives while I was on my way to B&N—it was fate), Thomas Hardy’s The Return of the Native (Clearance; I had just been thinking that I should read some Hardy, thanks to Val), replacement copies of Tender at the Bone and The World According to Garp, Bill Bryson’s In a Sunburned Country, a clearanced knitting book with lovely pictures, the new Andrew Clements book and a nice fat collection of crossword puzzles for the boy.

Whew! I used my B&N card, a coupon for an additional 10% off the total, and one of the books was part of a “buy two, get one free” deal. I didn’t spend as much as I had feared, and I’m happy.

**************************************************************

Jello Cake: Am I the only person here with the white trash background required to love it? You know, what it is, right? You bake a white cake in a 9x13 pan and then poke holes all through it with a fork. You dissolve jello mix in boiling water and then spoon that over the cake. Once it cools, you slather it with Cool Whip and shove it in the fridge. The result is a light, cool, fruity, dessert that is positively addicting! I made it yesterday with strawberry jello, and my whole family was thrilled with me.

**************************************************************

And now I'm off to help with a crossword puzzle that will make me feel smart. :-)

1 comment:

BabelBabe said...

Oooh, I almost bought Book Lust yesterday and didn't. Should I check it out?

I like Elinor Lipman and have every other book she wrote, so if you like Alice Thrift (not her best in my opinion) let me know and I can lend you any of the others.

In a Sunburned Country made me laugh out loud. The part on box jellyfish is especially terrific.

I've never had jello cake, and I know Dan wouldn't eat it due to its Cool Whip content, but I also have the white trash backgorund required. I might have to give it a shot, probably for the next Dan's-family event : ) After all, if they can eat velveeta, they can stomach Cool-Whip. (Clearly Dan has risen above his roots : )) And my own mother was the mistress of ambrosia - you know, that stuff with the baby marshmallows and coconut and mandarin oranges from a can? I experienced wild cravings for it when pregnant with Jude and ate gallons and gallons of it.