Tuesday, June 14, 2005

chance of thunderstorms

I picked up Hotel New Hampshire yesterday because…well, frankly, because I was lying on the couch and it was within easy reach. I had forgotten how very similar many of John Irving’s books are – not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but he has such a distinctive style that it leaps out. I have never seen the movie, but the combo of Jodie Foster as Franny and Seth Green as Egg makes me want to watch it. Not to mention Paul McCrane, the ridiculous Dr Romano of ER helicopter fame, as Frank, and smaller parts covered by the likes of Joely Richardson, Nastasia Kinski, Matthew Modine, and Amanda Plummer.

****************
Well, that’s a freaking relief, anyway. Geezum!

******************
OK, the last report (in last Friday’s Post Gazette) on this housing standoff was that the Urban Redevelopment Authority settled on a $33,000 lump sum payment to Gwendolyn Venay, so that she will move out of her federally-subsidized townhouse, thereby clearing the way for demolition of the old project and construction of a new housing complex. So let me get this straight – the URA is paying a woman thousands of dollars to leave the public housing that…they were paying for in the first place. Sometimes it pains me greatly to remain the bleeding-heart liberal I pride myself on being.

No comments: