Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Navel-gazing

I just started The Secret Life of Bees. I may be the only person on the face of the earth who hasn’t already read this book (like I may be the only human being who has not seen Pulp Fiction…) It’s good enough but I don’t see what all the fuss is about. It’s not genius. And it is *very* reminiscent of Ann Patchett’s Patron Saint of Liars.

-----------
Over the weekend, I read A Girl Named Zippy: Growing Up Small in Mooreland, Indiana. I avoided this book for the longest time because I thought, due to its subtitle, that Zippy was a dwarf. She’s not. I may be an idiot but she’s not a dwarf. So I am not sure what that title is all about. The book was entertaining enough, but sort of precious, and it was really hard to know how much of it was true. Not that I suppose that really makes much of a difference. Also in the same genre was Cynthia Kaplan’s Why I’m Like This, which was very funny in parts, and also fairly entertaining. A very quick read. If you have nothing better to read, there are worse things to pick up.

--------------------------

I just picked up The Complete Works of Christopher Marlowe, and a book called Plague! at the Duquesne/Gumberg Library book sale. Not that I was dying to buy anything, but hey, it’s for a good cause. And last week I bought a ton of books at B&N. I called my husband from the store and oh so innocently asked, “Have you thought about my birthday present yet?” Kind of a rhetorical question since my birthday at that point was two weeks away. Dan’s a Christmas-Eve-at-630 type of shopper, so I knew he’d say no and I just so happened to have a fabulous suggestion : ) When I actually own the books (after the boys have wrapped, and I have unwrapped, them) I will give a detailed listing and commentary. So you have something to look forward to…

---------------------

This amuses me greatly…I wonder what other characters they will come up with. I’d personally like to see the Saul/Paul doll, complete with blinding light accessory (and a manufacturer warning for epileptics). Or maybe Balaam with his ass…or Jael with spike in hand…(maybe Judith with the head of Holofernes, although I imagine evangelicals/fundamentalists don’t espouse the books of the Apocrypha…)

http://money.cnn.com/2005/04/12/news/midcaps/jesus_dolls/index.htm?cnn=yes

------------------
You know, the other morning Mr Rogers was all about going to the dentist. All well and good, but I did NOT need to see Fred Rogers doing a tooth-brushing demo at 830 in the morning. Really more than I need to know. It is the first time I have really perceived Mr Rogers as old, though – it was like watching your grandfather brush his teeth.
------------------

Saturday night I had to go to Dan’s uncle’s retirement party, and then Jude’s postponed birthday party was Sunday. And this is what I learned (you would think I’d have figured this out before the ripe old age of 34): I really don’t like parties. They generally bore me and/or stress me out. I’d rather lie on the couch with a good book. Or even a bad book.

-----------------------
I love these silly email surveys and inflict them on my friends all too often. So to save time (and reach a greater audience who might be interested in the results of my navel-gazing – ha!), I give you my answers here. Lucky you.

1. WHAT IS YOUR FULL NAME? Valerie Catherine
2. WHAT COLOR PANTS ARE YOU WEARING? black track pants
3. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW? Simon singing God knows what
4. WHAT'S THE LAST THING YOU ATE? a rice krispy treat and tea with honey and lemon
5. DO YOU WISH ON STARS? yes
6. IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE? grey
7. HOW IS THE WEATHER RIGHT NOW? Sunny and warm-ish - perfect park weather if Simon would put on his socks so we could get out the door
8. WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE? Noam Gilboa
9. DO YOU LIKE THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS TO YOU? Yes, very much
10. HOW OLD ARE YOU TODAY? 34
11. FAVORITE DRINK? Water
12. FAVORITE SPORT? to play, basketball; to watch, womens' gymnastics
13. HAIR COLOR? brown
14. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS? No, given up. Glasses are easier. Or Lasik surgery sometime when I have more disposable income...
15. SIBLINGS? 2 brothers, one younger, one older.
16. FAVORITE MONTH? September
17. FAVORITE FOOD? chocolate; although I am only eating Subway cold cut combo subs at the moment. The glories of morning sickness...
18. LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED? On TV, Rented or saw in the Theatre? In the theatre - Pooh's Heffalump Movie (I actually did enjoy it)
19. FAVORITE DAY OF THE YEAR? My birthday or maybe the vernal equinox
20. WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE TOY AS A CHILD? Barbies - I know, I know : )
21. SUMMER OR WINTER? Summer
22. HUGS OR KISSES? Hugs
23. CHOCOLATE OR VANILLA? chocolate but vanilla definitely has its virtues
24. DO YOU WANT YOUR FRIENDS T0 WRITE/EMAIL BACK? it doesn't matter
25. WHO IS MOST LIKELY TO RESPOND? Gina if she's not busy because she's good to me...and she too harbors a hidden fondness for these silly things
26. WHO IS LEAST LIKELY TO RESPOND? Debi - she's a busy person with a real life, unlike me : )
27. LIVING ARRANGEMENTS? a husband, two kids, another on the way, 2 cats, 2 goldfish, in a big old wreck of a hundred-year-old house in the East End of Pittsburgh. Ideal.
28. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU CRIED? yesterday afternoon
29. WHAT IS UNDER YOUR BED? a pair of sneakers and a collection of whatever the cats/boys have left there. also a pile of books waiting to be read
30. WHO IS THE FRIEND YOU HAVE HAD THE LONGEST? Jacque (since high school), or maybe Joe Misurac (jr high, but he was a teacher so he might not count : )
31. WHAT DID YOU DO LAST NIGHT? took 2 extra-strength tylenol and some cough syrup and tried to sleep off a migraine
32. FAVORITE SMELL? citrus
33. WHAT ARE YOU PASSIONATE ABOUT? books
34. WHAT ARE YOU AFRAID OF? spiders
35. PLAIN, BUTTERED OR SALTED POPCORN? buttered
37. FAVORITE FLOWER? daffodils or tulips, although buttercups are just plain cute
38. Keys on your keyring? 3 and a keyring Giant Eagle Advantage card. Jude lost my library keyring card : (
39. FAVORITE DAY OF THE WEEK? Thursday
40. WHAT DID YOU DO ON YOUR LAST BIRTHDAY? Oh, not sure - probably sushi and book-buying
41. HOW MANY STATES HAVE YOU LIVED IN? 2
42. HOW MANY CITIES HAVE YOU LIVED IN? 2
43. HOW MANY COUNTRIES HAVE YOU LIVED IN? 1, but I still have hopes of having a European life at some point
44. HOW MANY CARS HAVE YOU HAD AND WHAT WAS THE FIRST? 4. My first real-live, I-owned-it car was actually a full-size Ford F150 pickup truck, three on the tree, bright orange. God, I loved that truck.

45. WHERE WERE YOU BORN? Philadelphia.
46. Favorite Movie? Moonstruck
47. FAVORITE BOOK? Impossible to pick one but here's what I generally give people to read - Stones From the River; Possession; Pride and Prejudice. And I am hopelessly hooked on reading anything to do with arctic exploration or insane mountain climbers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

David and I have discussed how you read so many books, and have decided you must be a faster reader than us. I just heard an ad on Air America promising to take my reading for 200 words/minute to 2000 words/minute. Is this your speed? Did you take a class or are you just natually gifted?
--Marisa

David said...

I have not read The Secret Life of Bees.

I did however just finish Shadow of the Giant and thought it was a fine read.

You should check out the Jesus Superstore link off my page.

BabelBabe said...

Marias, the answer is that all I do in my spare time is read. So my house is falling down around my ears, the laundry piles up, I have virtually no social life exzcept what Dan forces me into, and I have two quilts that are lying around half-finished, one of them for the better part of two years.

I eat, I breathe, I read. It's that simple.

My husband says I do read really fast though - pure accident, it just happens that way. I never took a course or anything. And some stuff can't be read fast (Byatt, Rushdie, Austen) but some stuff can - and should - be breezed through. After all, who needs to spend time analyzing a standard mystery - you read it for pleasure.