Monday, April 25, 2005

I wonder where the birdies is

I just got back from my OB. I have gained no weight – which I am both pleased about and worried about. They say it’s fine, not to worry, I will start feeling better soon and will gain then. (Of course these are the same people who told me I could only gain fifteen pounds this pregnancy…) But I’ve already thrown up twice today – exactly when does this feeling-better begin? I can’t remember from my previous pregnancies, but God, I hope it’s soon! Although my pants are fitting a lot better, except for the belly.
----------------

We hosted a coffee hour for Pittsburgh mayoral candidate Bill Peduto yesterday. He seems like a really intelligent guy who has some great ideas for fixing the city’s troubles. He isn’t very political – which I personally like; he’s not slick or a stereotypical politician – he thinks about his answers to questions, he clearly believes in his causes, and he really loves this city and its neighborhoods and people. Patrick Dowd, our neighbor and a member of the Pittsburgh Public School board, endorses Bill, and as Patrick is one of the most stand-up guys I know, that’s a solid, worthy endorsement that means something to me.

Unfortunately there’s a very good chance Peduto and Michael Lamb will split the progressive vote (not that Michael Lamb is a bad candidate at all). So do your research and get out and vote May 17 in the primaries. This city needs some serious help, and someone with vision and brains to lead it, and I personally think Bill Peduto is the guy.
----------------------

I spent last night reading Just here Trying to Save A Few Lives, by Pamela Grim. There are some good stories, but she’s an ER doc burnout and it shows in her writing. I guess that is the point of her book, but it gets a bit depressing after a while. Next up: not sure, maybe The Cruelest Miles, but I do know I intend to go buy Ruth Reichl’s Garlic and Sapphires in the next few days, and then Beth Gutcheon’s new book, Leeway Cottage, as soon as it’s released May 3.

No comments: