Thursday, April 14, 2005

Carnival and other harbingers of spring

I read the second and third of the Y: The Last Man comic books last night. It’s still hard for me to believe that at the ripe old age of 34, I am reading comic books for the first time, but these are so good. And as Gina pointed out to me, Yorick (the last man) is just plain yummy. But really, what’s next for me? Star Trek books (no offense, David : ))?
-------------------------------

I picked up Beware of God at the library yesterday. Jessa Crispin of Bookslut said it made her laugh out loud, and giggle all afternoon. Good enough for me, I’ll give it a shot. I also picked up the new Alice Hoffman – I liked The Probable Future but The River King was very disappointing; she’s pretty hit or miss generally, so it can’t hurt to see. Besides, the main character is a librarian. I also got some comforting brain candy by Katie Fforde, and reserved the new Elizabeth George, With No One As Witness. I *have* to find out which major character she kills off (link courtesy of Bookslut). I almost got Marjane Satrapi’s Persepolis, but frankly, the art wasn’t as compelling as some other “comic” art I have seen, and I already had two comic books lined up to read. Enough is enough. But if I should read it, somone please tell me and I will happily comply.

Sick as I was, and with tons of other things to do, I had to go to the library to find out what the heck was up with my library card. I wasn’t being allowed to reserve or request books, and this was, for me, a crisis. Turns out my card had expired. (I did NOT get my advance notice as promised in the DP program, however…so what’s up with that??) But one other perk of being in the Donor Plus program – they didn’t have to give me a new card and consequently a new number; I just got to keep my old card/number, which is handy because I have finally just about memorized my library card number. Which comes in just about as handy as having my Social Security number memorized.

------------------------------------
CMU’s Spring Carnival starts today; midway opens at 4. I am planning on taking the boys over tomorrow, to check out the booths, and the drama department’s roller coaster. Simon had such a blast last year, he still talks about the Grinch booth. So hopefully both of the boys will enjoy it this year. I may attempt to get up for buggy, but I don’t see it happening. It was hard enough when I lived on campus and could just roll out of bed and down Donner’s stairs to buggy; now that I would actually have to operate my car that early, and find parking…not so likely.

--------------------
I have to work tonight – it’s my first solo stint as the reference librarian. It occurred to me last night as I went to bed at 9 that the toughest part may very well be staying awake at the desk till 10. God, I’m old.

No comments: