Friday, April 01, 2005

and more ayelet...

more reader responses to ayelet...

This is the one that hits the nail on the head for me:

I can't help having the sense when reading one of Ayelet's columns -- whether in Salon or the New York Times -- that I'm watching a train wreck in slow motion.

She has admitted that she has mental instability. She has been willing to write what she insists she didn't realize was a suicide note and publish it online. And now here come the Times and Salon, willing to publish whatever flits through her head without regard to coherence or content.

I can imagine some at Salon are delighted by the reader response -- hey, even hate mail means people are reading, right? -- but I can't help reading Ms. Waldman's columns and feeling sad. She is not provocative in a thoughtful way; she comes across as a person I would veer to the other side of the street to avoid, for fear she'd do something "wacky" that would turn out to be dangerous, or hurtful.

This may not be the person she is in real life; I can't say I know her. But the person who comes through in her columns -- in more than one publication -- projects an instability and lack of comprehension of the world that feels like a cry for help.

Please stop enabling her, Salon.

-- Randee

3 comments:

Gina said...

Best Comment Ever: Waldman/Chabon are becoming the Billy Bob Thornton and Angelina Jolie of the literary world: http://ilx.p3r.net/thread.php?msgid=5623971

BabelBabe said...

I read that - that's what started the whole string I think. I think it's hilarious. I've never been a big fan of Chabon's writing but he's getting a bad rep just from his crazy wife at this point - Sounds like another long-suffering husband I know : )

BabelBabe said...

I read that - that's what started the whole string I think. I think it's hilarious. I've never been a big fan of Chabon's writing but he's getting a bad rep just from his crazy wife at this point - Sounds like another long-suffering husband I know : )