Friday, June 03, 2005

where oh where had my little blogger gone?

All right, Wednesday night was fairly relaxing – a nice leisurely dinner at a great restaurant (Café Sam); a nice clean hotel room; two episodes of Whose Line Is It Anyway?; sleeping in the next morning; a trip to Bryn Mawr-Vassar to poke through their books and buy a few --- all that lovely de-stressing wore off pretty much half an hour after we got home. Oh well. It was nice while it lasted!

************

Now I begin to tackle the Great Plaster Dust Clean-Up. Our wonderful electrician not only rewired our entire second floor, thereby making our house NOT a firetrap and enabling me to both blow dry my hair and iron clothes on the second floor, but he also plastered and sanded all of the dozens of holes he had to punch in the walls and ceiling. Apparently this is *not* de rigueur behavior for an electrician. But the holes were patched, the floors vacuumed, and all my lovely new outlets work. That was the big spring project completed – an eight-day plan which wound up taking almost three weeks. Our house is close to a hundred years old, with double walls and cross-bracing all over the place. Out of pure necessity, the electricians did more demolition work than actual rewiring. Next up – rebuilding porch railings and scraping and painting the back porch. And I’ll start to think about recovering our ancient sofa.

***********

Have I had time to read? Surprisingly, yes. I am almost done Diana Abu-Jaber’s Crescent. She is a lovely, lyrical writer; she could have written the newspaper classifieds and I’d be interested in reading them. I finished off Katie Fforde’s predictable but fun bit of fluff, Life Skills, last night at 230 am, along with two slices of sausage pizza. I am resting on the Robertson Davies for a bit; I still have several library books I have not even cracked (Mulberry Empire, Kindergarten, Jamaica Kincaid’s Lucy, Paula Kamen’s All in my Head); and Gina and I are convinced that we missed a volume of Y: The Last Man somewhere along the way because this fourth one is not making much sense.

********

Added to our farm co-op haul this week: honey and some new potatoes.

**********

The baby is beginning to kick the crap out of me, generally in the vicinity of my bladder. Which I suppose means s/he’s still right-side-up instead of properly upside down. Turn, baby, turn!

Oh, and by the way, my blessed next-door neighbor came to my rescue with her XL Old Navy maternity tankini. It fits, and will still fit in September, and is a pleasant enough navy and red floral print. Here's a bonus I hadn't considered: my stomach is so big that it makes my thighs look positively svelte.

No comments: