Wednesday, March 30, 2005

reading aloud to the little guys

Simon and I have been doing alot of reading aloud over the past day or so because he is still a pretty sick little dude too. I discovered a book I don't even remember buying but have had for ages called The Outspoken Princess and the Gentle Knight: An anthology of modern fairy tales. There's about fifteen stories, all by famous authors - AS Byatt, Patricia Coombes, Richard Kennedy, Jane Yolen, Lloyd Alexander...The one we read tonight was by Lloyd Alexander and was called The Cat-King. It was a strange but charming little fable about tolerance. This afternoon we read a very funny one called Little Polly Riding Hood - Polly refuses to follow the script and be eaten by the wolf and the wolf is continually frustrated in his quest by the fact that Polly takes the train and a bus to see her grandma, she doesn't go tripping thru the woods, etc. Yesterday's story (and the biggest hit) was Molly Mullett and the Ogre. It's sort of the same idea as Robert Munsch's Paperbag Princess, only with an ogre instead of the dragon. Simon laughs so hard every time I read the part where the king calls Molly a measelly, sneezely, sniveling girl that it cracks *me* up.

It's a relief to read something new and interesting to me, too. I have to be careful and pre-read before I read a story to him; there's one in particular called The Dark Princess that is not suitable for a four year old, but overall it's a big success. Shouldn't have surprised me as the last book that went over this well was my compilation of classic poems illustrated for children. He still loves Belinda and Custard her Cowardly Dragon, and Annabel Lee.

I've been thinking of reading some Bible stories to him too (speaking of having to be careful) - but stuff like Daniel in the lions' den, and Esther - I've always thought the story of Esther is almost a perfect story - it's got it all, a brave and ingenious heroine, love, loyalty, crazy plot twists, and the baddie gets it in the end.

My friend Patience recommended a book today I hadn't heard of but that I should hunt up. I can't remember the title but it's fairy tales and short stories structured to be read aloud by two people, and Si is so close to actually reading that within a few months, he might really enjoy something like that.

This is one of the fun parts of having kids : )That, and if it's nice and warm tomorrow, we are going out for ice cream. Because when you have two little boys with you, you need no excuse!

1 comment:

Gina said...

I've been meaning to check out a book of plays for kids, because I think Teddy and I would have a blast with that, but if you think of the title of the book with the stories meant to be read by to people, please let me know--how fun!