Wednesday, March 02, 2005

No Self Control

I just went out for lunch, and there was a parking space in front of B&N, so of course I had to stop. I got the first book in The Sandman series, Everything is Illuminated (that NYT article really made me feel the love, and I wanted to make sure to get my copy before it starts being sold with a movie cover), and The Bears' Famous Invasion of Sicily for Teddy. I can't decide what to read first, but I think I'm going to throw over The Crimson Petal and the White for the Gaiman.

The girl who checked me out held up The Sandman and grinned at me, and I told her I was excited because I'd just read Marvel 1602 and couldn't wait to try some more. She said, "It sounds like someone's about to start a wonderful journey," in this really sing-song voice. A little creepy, yes, but it was nice to see someone so excited about what she was selling me.

There was no book buying in my budget, but I spent the money anyway. I have no impulse control and shouldn't be allowed near any stores that sell books. Oh, well. I suppose I could have a thing for shoes or purses or jewelry or something.

3 comments:

BabelBabe said...

Or heroin. Which is my constant excuse. "I could be a heroin addict."

Gina said...

I have had a sinus headache all week, and can now see the appeal of becoming addicted to narcotics. At this point I think I would happily be a heroin addict if it would provide escape the pain in my head.

Then again, the sinus headache persists because I'm too much of a wuss to take sinus meds--they make me wig out.

BabelBabe said...

I would take anything at this point that would clear my sinuses and not make me feel like all my bodily fluids are draining out and behind my left nostril. Alas, the parasite precludes this. The things we suffer for motherhood...