Friday, December 02, 2005

This one has a little star. This one has a little car.

This is my car. It is a 2003 Toyota Matrix.
It does not have a name even though I talk to it and pet it on its dash occasionally.
I think the silver color is cool.
It handles well in the snow.


It’s a five-speed. Because real men – women – drive stick.
Because we bought it new, I try to keep it clean but I don’t manage that very well.
I keep a shell from Stone Harbor and a clay heart Primo made for me in the little compartment meant for sunglasses.


Max hangs from the rear view mirror.

It gets 27 miles to the gallon.
It has a CD player, but I mostly listen to the radio.
The rear defrost works – I feel so spoiled.

I test-drove a fully-loaded sport model. The salesman asked what features I wanted. I asked only for a radio, in a manual car, with a rear defrost. He asked me incredulously what on God’s green earth I had been driving before. My beloved Honda Civic was falling apart. This car was quite the step up.

I do wish I had sprung for automatic locks. It would cost close to a thousand bucks to retrofit the car for them now. Live and learn.

The backseat is a bit cramped but I manage. If I have all three boys, I have to put Primo in first, then the baby, or I can’t reach the seatbelt.

There’s lots of room in the back and the seats fold down for big stuff like lumber or Christmas trees.

My car is my kingdom. I love it.

Friday Show-and-Tell, courtesy of Blackbird

10 comments:

blackbird said...

Love your car -
we test drove a Matrix and I think we would have moved forward if the salesman and the dealership wasn't so crappy.
It's a great car, and has an electric outlet in the cargo area, right?

Sarah Louise said...

Ack! I still have not downloaded the software to my computer...I'm staying in this weekend (except for when I'm working...) My car's name is Melody.

tevsx: all i can think of is fiddler on the roof (tevye) and sex. Someone's mind is in the gutter...

mathomhouse said...

I had a Honda Civic hatchback manual with NOTHING, no air, no radio, for let's see, almost fifteen years (oh, I loved that car!). When I got my CR-V I couldn't stop rolling the electric windows up and down in amazement, like an Amish woman on her first visit to the big city.

sueeeus said...

I wanted one of these, but I need the SIZE now. I love the great fuel economy and it's CUTE!!

bon said...

waaay too cute!

Caro said...

That is a cool car. I wish I could downsize from the minvan, but it would make carpool days impossible.

Speaking of the minivan, we were leaving town and it broke down AGAIN.

Suse said...

Oh you look just like me!

Well ... except that your car is 11 years newer, and your three little boys are littler than my three little boys.

Apart from that, we're spooky internet twins, claerly.

Suse said...

clearly

clearly

CLEARLY

KPB said...

For some reason, this post has rocked my small vapid world. Love it.

Anonymous said...

HEY! I HAVE A MATRIX TOO!