Monday, September 26, 2005

She Works Hard for the Money. So Hard for it, Honey.

I've been pretty quiet for a while now, mostly because our Traffic and Operations Manager is out at a conference and then taking some (well deserved) vacation time. I am her back up. I am not really qualified to be the person who generates and maintains the station's program logs and thus controls everything that goes on the air, but here I am, floundering. I don't like to flounder--it makes me crabby.

I will be temporarily less crabby after Wednesday, when she comes back, but that reprieve will likely be short-lived, as we start our fall Pledge Drive next week. Sigh.

*****

I did house work and school work all weekend, aside from a surprisingly fun visit with my extended family Saturday night. My sister and I are Taboo Goddesses, and the rest of the family bows down to us--it's quite flattering.

I read Persepolis this weekend, which was as good as all the hype claims. Can something be considered stark and rich at the same time? It's a quick but absorbing read, and I got choked up more than once.

I also read David Rakoff's new book of essays, Don't Get Too Comfortable. Rakoff's funny, but I think his strength is in his intelligence/thoughtfulness. I wonder if hanging out with Rakoff, Sarah Vowell, Ira Glass and David Sedaris would be as fun as I think it would?

*****

Teddy and I have started playing Myst III: Exile. We're using a walk-through, as neither of us has ever played a game like this, but it's a good time. Teddy is entranced by the graphics, which are admittedly cool but kind of give me a headache, and I love being able to work as a team to solve the puzzles/complete the quest.

*****

That's it for me, I think. Back to work.

6 comments:

BabelBabe said...

I could never enjoy hanging out with Glass, Vowell, et al. as I would be too frightened to open my mouth to have any fun. You just know I'd say something startingly stupid, even for me.

I do like Rakoff, though I read his first book Fraud right after some Sedaris and it suffered in comparision.

Gina said...

I was expecting Rakoff to be as funny as Sedaris when I read Fraud, and I was disappointed, but I knew what I was getting into this time and I liked it much better. Rakoff is smart and interesting, if not gut-bustingly funny . . .

Caro said...

Floundering makes me crabby too. I'm crabby a lot.

BabelBabe said...

I don't even need floundering to make me crabby - just ask Gina.

although i am so out of it right now that i had to think for a moment about making a hilarious pun on floudnering, clamming, crabbing, etc. yeah, lucky you guys. i am going back to bed now.

Peg said...

Gina a big thanks for sharing Persepolis. What a find -- did you need to read it for class, or did you discover it?

Jess said...

I just started reading Persepolis - thanks for recommending it - although it took me a while to remember where I heard about it. I've never been a graphic novel reader - I might need to try more now.