Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Jennifer, Jason, and the like

This blurb/article in this month's Atlantic is very interesting. See what you think...all I know is Misty and Stephanie never even crossed my radar for this kid...or any other....

---------

INCOME. The name that parents give their child may be a reflection of wealth and cultural sophistication. Here are the leading names for white babies according to income.

Girls/High
1. Alexandra
2. Lauren
3. Katherine
4. Madison
5. Rachel Girls/Low
1. Amber
2. Heather
3. Kayla
4. Stephanie
5. Alyssa
Boys/High
1. Benjamin
2. Samuel
3. Jonathan
4. Alexander
5. Andrew Boys/Low
1. Cody
2. Brandon
3. Anthony
4. Justin
5. Robert


EDUCATION. A baby's name often reflects how much education his or her mother received. Here are the white babies' names associated with the highest and lowest levels of education in their mothers (average years of education in parentheses).

Girls/High
1. Lucienne (16.60)
2. Marie-Claire (16.50)
3. Glynnis (16.40)
4. Adair (16.36)
5. Meira (16.27) Girls/Low
1. Angel (11.38)
2. Heaven (11.46)
3. Misty (11.61)
4. Destiny (11.66)
5. Brenda (11.71)
Boys/High
1. Dov (16.50)
2. Akiva (16.42)
3. Sander (16.29)
4. Yannick (16.20)
5. Sacha (16.18) Boys/Low
1. Ricky (11.55)
2. Joey (11.65)
3. Jessie (11.66)
4. Jimmy (11.66)
5. Billy (11.69)

4 comments:

Gina said...

I want to read this article, but you have to be a subscriber. I requested the Freakonomics book at the library a while ago, though, so at least there's that.

BabelBabe said...

I'll email you the username, I thought I'd set up for that. Oops, sorry.

David said...

Is there a list of names based on how often they get their butts kicked in kindergarten?

BabelBabe said...

Are you asking that about the Mistys and Heavens, or about the Sander and Yannick? It could conceivably go both ways...

I work with a guy named Assaph, which as an adult is a perfectly nice name, but I'll bet that unless he went to some sort of Jewish/yeshiva school, caused him no end of trouble and teasing.

I guess you have to name your kid what you feel is right and appropriate and just hope for the best. But I still veto Stephanie! : )