Saturday, May 07, 2005

bring on the bacteria burgers!

I’m reading Gina Mallet’s Last Chance to Eat. It won the 2005 James Beard Award for Writing on Food, so I think I expected more.
It’s not riveting, which is what I was hoping for. But it’s interesting enough, sort of a cross between Eric Schlosser and MFK Fisher. And she makes very good points about how people, particularly Americans, are consumed by “food fear.” (Personally speaking, for instance, *why* can’t pregnant women eat sushi? I mean, thousands of Japanese women can’t be wrong, can they? And I happily scarfed down some lovely Camembert last weekend with nary a thought to the fact that I was eating a semi-soft cheese, also a pregnancy no-no.) Mallet deals with some classic food scares, such as the egg/cholesterol freak-out of the eighties, and the E. coli frenzies. She talks about the way cheese production has been industrialized. She addresses the American desire for food to be predictable, for everything to taste alike, like, oh, say, the way all Big Macs taste the same everywhere. The book did make me want to go buy a nice runny Brie and some organic eggs…and risk my health for taste!

***********
So far this season the mighty mountain Sagarmatha (Nepali) / Chomolungma (Tibetan) (Everest to us Americans) has claimed two lives: Canadian Sean Egan died April 29, from an apparent heart attack, and Sunday, May 3, American Michael O’Brien fell while crossing the Khumbu Icefall. A helicopter rescue of two Canadians, two Americans, and a Sherpa took place early this morning, following an avalanche that thundered through Camp 1 Thursday. No one was killed – amazingly – but several climbers were seriously injured. Due to weather conditions, their rescue had to be delayed until this morning. It’s crazy to realize that even now, during prime climbing (pre-monsoon) season, snow and hurricane-force wind storms can sweep the mountain. And here in Pittsburgh we’re just waiting for our frost date…

**************

And making the transition from frivolity and pointless death to something more meaningful:

The campus is hopping – but the library is not - due to graduation. The lots were filling up when I got here this morning, and there are traffic cops everywhere.
Also, apparently there is a protest outside the Palumbo center involving the formation of a student gay and lesbian association. This Post-Gazette article details the ongoing debate, and
this article
by Duquesne student Matthew Pratter is what started the whole thing. I have to say, this is a tough case. Just to set it out there to start, I couldn’t care less who’s gay and who’s not; frankly, I don’t care what goes on between consenting adults as long as I don’t have to hear about it EVER. I don’t want to hear sexual details of anyone’s life – straight, gay, whatever. So…on one hand, it’s a Catholic school, you knew that coming into it, why would you make life harder for yourself as a gay man? Why not go to a public university where no one cares? I understand that there are religious issues, that homosexuals can also be devoutly religious, but just in the interest of self-preservation (or maybe I am just a coward, or not as much of a troublemaker as I like to pride myself on), I would go where it was not even an issue. But, on the other hand, as a religious institution, how about exhibiting some of that Christian love, charity, and acceptance touted by Jesus Christ? You know, “He who is without sin cast the first stone,” or even better, “Judge not, lest ye be judged.” Jesus welcomed everyone to His fold, not just the purely socially acceptable. Don’t you think it might be worth our while to try to live up to that example, and “live peaceably with all men,” and be tolerant and caring? It could always be you, don’t forget. Just because it’s not, today, just because today it’s the homosexuals, or the Jews, or the Arabs, or the single mothers, or the women, or whomever – tomorrow it could be you. The possibility always makes me remember this little composition I read ages ago somewhere.

***********************
Just a one-off:
This picture breaks my heart. Something, *something*, has to be done in the Middle East. But what?

1 comment:

Gina said...

So many issues!

First, I am FILLED with food fear. I don't take well to intestinal troubles, and I avoid them at all costs. If something is tainted with the slightest *possibility* of making me sick, forget it. It will not taste good.

I didn't eat meat for three years because of Fast Food Nation and E.coli. Now I only eat "organic" meat, and only because the stupid doctor--with his concerns over my atrophied intestines--made me increase my protein intake. The jerk.

Mad cow? No, thanks. Canning my own tomato sauce and preserves? That sounds lovely and admirable, but I'm much too afraid of botulism to tempt fate like that.

(Just like home-birthing sounded appealing, until I thought for two seconds about how comforting I fond medical professionals and their techonology: I leave to the professionals all things that can cause death.)

I like things to be pasturized and sanitized . . . for my protection.

*********************

Ssshhhh! Everyone know there aren't any gay Catholics! That kid is an aberration. Okay, so he's not. And I think Jesus would be pretty mad at the DU finger-pointers if he were around.

That said, I was just thinking this morning that some gay men (not to mention any names) really piss me off by shoving their sexuality in my face. And I was feeling all guilty and closet-homophobic about it until I realized that I also really hate it when straight men shove their sexuality in my face. It doesn't seem to matter *where* they want to put their dicks; certain men just want you to know they are aggressively sexual, and big-dicked in spirit (if nothing else). And I hate that.

Dear Men:

It's great that you have a penis, and all, but I don't care about it. And I don't care where you want to put it.

I do not want in in my hand, I do not want it in a man. I do not want it in a tree, I do not want it inside me. I do not care if you think I'm a hot chick, I would not, could not care less about your dick.

Thank you.

Gina Boyd

*****************************

That Salon picture of the soldier with the dead child makes me want to throw up. Imagine what we *don't* see.