Monday, April 04, 2005

sunny day...chasing the clouds away...

Isn’t it easier to have a good day and like people when the sun is out? Or am I really just that shallow?
--------------------------
How many games of Junior Monopoly must I play to be a good mother?
-----------------------
Why do the kids always sleep in on the days you have to be somewhere at 830?
-------------------------
I just got the second wrong number on my cell phone in less than 24 hours. It seems wrong that *I* should have to pay for these.
-------------------
Jessa Crispin makes an excellent point on Boosklut today: Jane Austen is SO not chick lit. Not that I have anything against chick lit. But it’s sort of like saying Moby Dick is a book about fishing.
----------------------
There’s also a bit on Bookslut today about In Cold Blood. I was really enjoying it when I started it but got distracted. I should pick it up again, if only to finish it and give it back to Gina, who bought it and lent it to me before she even read it. If that’s not true friendship, I don’t know what is.
-------
I have been in a bit of a book slump if only because I find it difficult to concentrate on any decent book while trying not to throw up. So I’ve been rereading James Herriot’s Yorkshire books, pure comfort reading. But last night I picked up Laurie King’s next Mary Russell mystery that I haven’t read, O Jerusalem. It is so good. I was starting to worry for King because I was not that nuts about the last one, The Moor. But this is good, it’s probably the next best after The Beekeeper’s Apprentice, the first in the Mary Russell series. There are two other paperbacks, Justice Hall and The Game, and then a new one comes out in the fall. Book life is good : )
----------------
So I have been doing my new job now for a few weeks, although I have yet to be released solo on any unsuspecting library patrons. It was incredibly gratifying to have a real job to give to the hospital people last Sunday, instead of having to fumble around with “Oh, uh, I’m a research assistant…” I could confidently and happily say, “I’m a librarian” and not be ashamed of that in the least. And I still can’t believe they give me money for this – it’s FUN. And as I suspected, librarianship at an academic library is a varied lot, so I get all kinds of bizarre *and* mundane questions, quite the nice mix to keep it interesting. I had to look up answers for questions about Thomas Hardy’s poem The Darkling Thrush, literary criticism on Charles Bukowski’s Ham on Rye, film criticism on American Beauty, several Biblical/theology questions…and the run of the mill Where are the copiers? questions. It’s fun. Like being a detective without any of the hazards.

No comments: