Thursday, April 07, 2005

April

The sister-in-law of an old friend of mine just died Monday. She had been battling breast cancer, which then metastasized to her brain and bones, for close to I’d guess five years. She made it so much longer than anyone expected. She leaves behind four small kids, the youngest of whom is about a year older than Simon (4). I cannot stop thinking about her – it’s one of my worst nightmares, to die and leave my kids alone. And I know it’s a selfish way to look at it but I want to watch my kids grow up and I want them to remember me. It’s crazy to think that if I were hit by a bus tomorrow, I would really only be a vague memory to Simon for his life. At the moment I am pretty sure I am at the center of his universe.

My dad died when I was seventeen, but even so a lot of him is only a vague memory. And I was practically grown. But at this point in my life he’s been dead longer than I knew him alive. So I can only imagine how cloudy your memories would be if your parent died when you were four or even a little bit older. It makes my blood run cold. I can only think of one or two worse things, frankly. Poor April – my thoughts go out to her family, and from one mama to another, to her.

2 comments:

Gina said...

How sad that April died in the month she was named for.

I think I feel worse for her parents than I do her children. As you said, she'll only be a vague memory at best to the youngest.

Val, you've lost both of your parents--but can you imagine losing one of your children?

Parents shouldn't bury children, and that's that.

Anonymous said...

I feel it very much now you could think of the good moments that live with dear persons.

Look after yourself.