Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Prodigal Blogger

I haven't put up a new post in nearly a month, and I blame that on general laziness and a crappy work computer. Oh, and the quickly approaching end of the semester. I felt like I needed to post, though, because I've been letting my reading journal languish along with all other duties that aren't necessary to maintaining life and/or a civilized appearance. I'm starting to lose track of what I've been reading, and that's just not good.

Let's see if I can retrace my steps . . . I just started Snobs, which is by the guy who wrote Gosford Park, Julian Fellowes. It's droll and entertaining, but I'll be excited when something better comes along. I have Gillead, but I'm resisting it for some reason. Before Snobs I read Sue Miller's new book, Lost in the Forest, which I thought was quite good. The fact that I got the advanced reader's copy for free made it all that much better. I sent a review to Knopf and noted how much I appreciated the characters' inanities and uncertainties, and how much I liked the fact that no one seemed to be a "type". It was a nice read.

I read Anne of Ingleside for a few nights before I went to bed, but I'm taking a break from Anne for a while--she's a delight, and she makes me want to appreciate life and love and nature. Too much Anne, though, makes me want to whore myself out for some crack.

I read a cool Wonder Woman graphic novel, Gods & Mortals, which gave me all the WW history I didn't know (I'll spare you the details, but I dug it). And I read the second and third books about hot Yorick, and am anxiously awaiting the fourth.

What else? I tried Two Girls Fat and Thin, but I couldn't get into it and let it go. Help me out here, Val. What am I missing? I know I had a moratorium on reading for pleasure for a while, because of school, but . . . Oh! There was the King/O'Nan book about the last Red Sox season, which I liked. (I have to say that the pathetic Pirates aren't doing much to extend my interest in baseball into the non-book world, but . . . )

Um, there was Mediated, which was interesting. My pleasure in it, however, was MEDIATED by the know-it-all Baby Boomer tone of the author. And then there was the book about the mainstreaming of alternative culture--how sad/telling is it that I can't even remember that book's title? It was written by two serious young men from Canada, who were made very sad by the death of Kurt Cobain. Sigh. Not exactly earth-shattering stuff.

That's all I can come up with for now, and I'm being called on to actually work. Sigh.

1 comment:

BabelBabe said...

You have a lot more patience for stuff like Mediated than I do. It's an intellectual streak in you I envy, because you really care about phenomena and trends in society and that's a good, smart thing to want to know about since we live in society and all. But I so don't care. Make me more intellectual, Gina, please!

I liked Lost in the Forest also, also excited by the prospect of a free book. I haven't written my review yet - and may not. I am lazy about that sort of thing. I didn't think to sign up again, but I will. Hey, free books are a good thing!

I'll be curious to hear what you think of Gilead. I tried Housekeeping and just didn't see what all the fuss was about.

Anyway, you are almost done your first semester of library school - welcome to the dark side, dear. It's very pleasant here, and you can find out anything you need to know : ) Honestly, though, as we discussed previously, what the hell took us so long to figure it out?!?!?!

And last but not least, does it piss anyone else off that you have to open a separate IE window to reference the blog you're commenting on? It does me.