Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Soy un Perdidor

Remember when Beck was all weird and dreamy and fun and cool? Now he's sad and crushed, and frankly, I don't need that. I do just fine on my own.

Anyway, I am a loser, baby. I've not done a moment's worth of reading for school since Thursday. And you know what? I don't care! I've done some lovely, lovely reading of my OWN!

Marvel 1602 was wonderful. Wonderful! I finished that on Friday night, and I wanted to run out to B&N for more of the same. When I got there, though, I was let down by the selection. I think I need more guidance for one thing, and I also think I need to look in a place where there's a better selection. I picked up Coraline, because I know that Neil Gaiman is a safe bet, but that's not really what I'm looking for. I want this. I think I first heard of it on Bookslut.

Okay, so I finished the Marvel book and then I read the new Douglas Coupland, which was his best so far, I think. I'm not a huge Coupland fan, but I really liked the female narrator in this one. And the story was flakey, of course, but I really cared about the people.

Then I got about 3/4 of the way through The Subtle Knife. Love! However, I got sidelined and instead of finishing that last night, I read this from cover to cover. I love reading about food, although I felt like a sheepish lemur for buying it. (Can you BE a sheepish lemur?) But the recipes! The recipes, I say! I can't wait to buy some lovely produce at Whole Foods, so I can make what seems like an incredible vegetable soup. And I want the poached pears. And the pork chops with apple. Lots of simple recipes, but beautiful foods!

So that's it for me and my weekend reading. Teddy's all happy because the tenth in his beloved Andrew Lost series came out, so I got to thrill as I watched him walk into school this morning . . . READING! Let's hope ALL of his apples fall from my side of the tree! :-) He's also working on a short biography of Theodore Roosevelt so he can dress up as the man for school on Friday (one of Carl's sport coats over a pillow, a pair of glasses with no lenses, and a teddy bear should do the trick), and we'll start Half Magic soon.

Reading is good. Maybe I take back what I said about being a loser. But I don't know how to say "I'm a winner" in Spanish. Sorry, Beck.

1 comment:

BabelBabe said...

Did Ted actually walk *into* the school? Because I know I've done that sort of thing while reading a book, and I also know for a fact that so has his mother... : )