Thursday, February 24, 2005

Salon Suggestions

Did you see these? I think The Manhattan Beach Project could be a good time, but I've never read Peter Lefcourt. And I'm going to request Enchantments from the library as soon as I finish this post.

I'm also interested in How to Fall, which is short stories. Andrew O'Hehir actually makes it a point to say that these aren't short stories in which nothing happens. Against my better judgment, I think I'm going to request this from the library as well. It's not like I can lose, right? But if they're good stories where something happens, I bet I'll just end up frustrated by the fact that I'm not reading a novel.

4 comments:

BabelBabe said...

A couple of these looked pretty interesting, most esp. for me, A Thread of Grace and How to Fall. I have never had a huge amount of luck with Salon reccs, but sometimes you do come across a real gem, so I continue to check them out. Although you have inspired me to finally request some of the ones I have been meaning to check out: John Searles' Strange but True, and Geoffrey Nicholson's The Hollywood Dodo.

Gina said...

I just requested the Manhatten Beach one and The Crimson Petal and the White. The library doesn't have How to Fall or Enchantment yet.

Did you ever notice how Jessa Crispin hates Laura Miller?

BabelBabe said...

I hadn't noticed. But then I had to look up who Laura Miller was. Did you see this? Some of these might satisfy your newfound comix jones.

(link from Bookslut)
http://www.seattleweekly.com/features/0508/050223_arts_thisweeksreads.php

Gina said...

I gave it a cursory look, but I'm not ready for that yet, I don't think.

I did request the first of the Y: The Last Man series.

Woo hoo!