Thursday, February 18, 2010

And finally Winter, with its bitin', whinin' wind, and all the land will be mantled with snow.


We are riding out our third 2-hour delay this week. We didn’t have a 2-hour delay yesterday – because school was closed.
School was closed all last week.
And yesterday. Did I mention that?
Today’s 2-hour delay was greeted with groans and crying from my two big boys – a 2-hour delay cancels their planned field trip today. But also I think even they are getting bored.

I am not necessarily bored. I’ve tried to keep the boys busy with sledding, shoveling, movies, chores, science projects, board games, library books…right now they are running the short-track speedskating for their Animalympics. I think Primo’s bear Champ just won his heat.

I have been baking and cooking healthy meals (and not so healthy – French toast for breakfast this morning). I’ve been knitting and keeping up with laundry, but have given up on the state of my house. I have been reading some good stuff – Elizabeth Kostova’s new book The Swan Thieves, Dedication by the authors of The Nanny Diaries - more detailed posts to follow.

But really, I just want to curl up in a fetal position in the bottom of a nice bottle of rum - or under my down comforter would do in a pinch - and have someone wake me when the snow melts.
Sometime in July is my guess.


The cats are the only ones with any sense.

UPDATED: I just got everyone in the car to take them to their respective schools and my van won't start. Scramble, scramble, got everyone rides. Now I lie on the floor and weep; my frustration knows no bounds right now. Don't mind me.

8 comments:

delta said...

Frankly, I thought you'd be dancing around the house in your socks and underwear and sunglasses just like Tom Cruise in Risky Business! Granny would say it is time for some fairy tea....

The Coffee Lady said...

Oh, I feel your pain. And it's not even bloody snowing here.

Caterina said...

I would have been waving the white flag a long time ago.

Loretta a/k/a Mrs. Pom said...

UGH. UGH. UGH.

Perhaps: Nyquil liberally dosed.

To the haters: Only kidding!

ThirdCat said...

French toast is unhealthy? Really?

eurolush said...

We are leading parallel lives. I'd prefer gin instead of rum, though.

MsCellania said...

Laughing at Loretta up there! Now there's an honest mom - who among us hasn't slipped a kid some Fast Sleep?!
I am going to have the boys do Animalympics tomorrow, with their Webkinz on parchment sleighs. Lots of running up and down 16 stairs, oh this could be good. DogBert will get exercise, too.
More Snow Tomorrow and we have screen-free Sundays. (No screen time on school night days, so no tv, Wii, DS, computer games.)

Elizabeth said...

Winter just keeps on giving, doesn't it?
At least you have new books!