Wednesday, September 23, 2009

"This is not the time for complacency or over-confidence."

I am skedaddling out of town.
The G-20 summit begins in Pittsburgh tomorrow.


And while I have a bizarre interest in its goings-on, apparently the city of Pittsburgh is not quite up to the challenge. My kids' schools are closed, as are most museums, cultural attractions, many libraries, and most downtown companies.

And with Yom Kippur on Monday (a Pittsburgh Public School holiday also), I was staring down the barrel of five days with my children at home, more or less by myself, since H works not-Downtown -- so he can actually get to work.

So we're getting the heck out of Dodge.

It'll actually be nice to escape the perpetual sound of these, which have been hovering over the city all day now:

There's already been some interesting activity:
(Those are Greenpeace protesters rappelling from the West End bridge this afternoon.)

Good times, yo.

P.S. What am I taking to read? Nicola Keegan's Swimming, Sherwood Anderson's Winesburg, Ohio, and Ariana Franklin's Mistress of the Art of Death.

******************
*Gordon Brown, on G-20 cooperation

7 comments:

Badger said...

I have owned a copy of Winesburg, Ohio for YEARS and have never read it. What is WRONG with me?!

LemonyRenee' said...

My condolences. Both on the kids off with nothing to do AND the invasion. As a person who lives right smack-dab between Washington DC and Camp David, I know the helicopter-hover sound well. ugh

Sinda said...

Oooh, looking forward to hearing about Ariana Franklin's Mistress of the Art of Death. My mother left it for me ages ago, and I've never picked it up.

Caro said...

Have a good time.

blackbird said...

Where TO?!

Amelia Plum said...

that top photo is hysterical!

Ms. Pittsburgh said...

How did you feel about Mistress of the Art of Death? I've been stalking it at the bookstore for some time now.